PDA

View Full Version : Stocking suggestions and advice

MrApplebee
10/06/2017, 09:52 AM
My new tank system is 460 litres. 120 litres sump and 340 litres tank. The tank is 4 foot long.

There's a long way to go til I'm putting any livestock in the tank but I'd really appreciate some ideas from you guys on here who have tons of experience. My tank is going to be mainly soft corals. I'd like a really nice, peaceful tank with a fairly low stock load.

The fish I really like are Clownfish, yellow tang, Regal tang (I'm aware my tank is too small so I won't be putting one in there but just giving you ideas of what I like), Anthias, neon goby, triggerfish (well out of the question I know), snowflake moray and a few other.

Could some of you guys recommend what you think would be a good stock list for a tank of my size. I really can't decide and through my years stocking freshwater tanks I've found that some fish just don't work together in practice No matter how peaceful either species might be considered.

Cheers

Mike

nereefpat
10/06/2017, 10:25 AM
Stocklist for 460L (120 gal):

2 ocellaris clowns
Yellow tang
3 lyretail anthias
Neon goby
yellow tail damsel (to replace the regal tang)

How does that look to you? You still have some room, imo.

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 10:33 AM
If my math is right in my head, that's around 120 gallons. Clownfish, flame/longnose hawkfish, gobies, blennies, dwarf angels, dottybacks, flashy/fairy wrasses would all be great candidates. Tang wise, only 1 tang and that can be Yellow Tang, Kole, Tomini, Whitetail Bristletooth, or Chocolate/Lemonpeel Mimic Tang. Since you are doing soft corals, I would only do Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, Muiltcolor, or Flameblack/Brazilian Dwarf angel. These have been very good with coral IMEs.

Here's a list that could work:

1) Flameback Dwarf Angel
2) Black (Midnight) Nox Dwarf Angel
3) Flame/Longnose Hawkfish
4) 2-3 Flasher/Fairy Wrasses
5) Starry/Lawnmower Blenny
6) Purple Orchild Dottyback
7) Pair of Clownfish
8) Center piece fish would be the Tang recommended above.

MrApplebee
10/06/2017, 11:17 AM
Stocklist for 460L (120 gal):

2 ocellaris clowns
Yellow tang
3 lyretail anthias
Neon goby
yellow tail damsel (to replace the regal tang)

How does that look to you? You still have some room, imo.

Great list. Especially the yellow tail damsel. I think I'll get away with telling the kids that it's a "dory" fish. Lol

I'd like a pretty impressive clean up crew as well. I don't mean impressive as in loads but I'd like an interesting array of critters.

MrApplebee
10/06/2017, 11:24 AM
If my math is right in my head, that's around 120 gallons. Clownfish, flame/longnose hawkfish, gobies, blennies, dwarf angels, dottybacks, flashy/fairy wrasses would all be great candidates. Tang wise, only 1 tang and that can be Yellow Tang, Kole, Tomini, Whitetail Bristletooth, or Chocolate/Lemonpeel Mimic Tang. Since you are doing soft corals, I would only do Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, Muiltcolor, or Flameblack/Brazilian Dwarf angel. These have been very good with coral IMEs.

Here's a list that could work:

1) Flameback Dwarf Angel
2) Black (Midnight) Nox Dwarf Angel
3) Flame/Longnose Hawkfish
4) 2-3 Flasher/Fairy Wrasses
5) Starry/Lawnmower Blenny
6) Purple Orchild Dottyback
7) Pair of Clownfish
8) Center piece fish would be the Tang recommended above.

Thanks, great suggestions. You've introduced me to a couple of new fish as well. The starry blenny is an interesting looking character.