PDA

View Full Version : Damsel eating amphipods

ReefMaster48
10/06/2017, 12:51 PM
Saw my three stripe damsel (Zebra Cakes) chase, catch, and eat a swimming amphipod for the first time. It was pretty cool! :thumbsup:

I have a whole bunch of LR (30-40 pounds) in my sump, with a huge amphipod population. Any fish that eat them? Other then damsels... Since they breed in my sump and get into the DT, it'd be cool to have something constantly hunting and picking on them. Like a mandarin! Its only a 40 breeder with 20 sump though, so not sure if that's an option.

ReefMaster48
10/06/2017, 01:08 PM
Ahhh!! My clown just caught one too! So cool! :D

Tcox
10/06/2017, 03:50 PM
You’ll find that most fish will snack on pods. You’ll be surprised at how few you’ll have when your tank stocking increases. I used to have thousands in my 60g but with a six line wrasse, a candy cane hogfish, and a sapphire damsel, they keep everything picked clean. Sometimes a pod will come flying through my retun line and it’s a violent race between the three to the treat.

billdogg
10/06/2017, 04:38 PM
I'm a little disappointed with how this thread turned out! The way the title reads I was looking forward to these GIANT Damsel eating Pods! But nooooo.:frog:

mcgyvr
10/06/2017, 05:17 PM
I'm a little disappointed with how this thread turned out! The way the title reads I was looking forward to these GIANT Damsel eating Pods! But nooooo.:frog:

yeah... BOOOO

lilphil26
10/06/2017, 07:24 PM
I have a yellow coris wrasse and it is constantly hunting for pods in the rocks. I get the occasional baby snail on the glass and if he sees it it's game over for the baby snail! Definitely an interesting fish to watch.

ReefMaster48
10/11/2017, 09:44 AM

Haha! yea that would be nice! lol My damsels haven't given me to much trouble yet. They each have their own space and keep each other to it. See how adding another fish goes though.

The yellow coris wrasse is very cool looking! Might be an option. Anyone ever kept a tank bred mandrin? Success with eating prepared foods? It would be very cool to have, but if the pod population dies down, Id want a fish that eats prepared food too.