PDA

View Full Version : Frag tank lighting

JTL
10/06/2017, 03:18 PM
I am doing a diy qt/frag tank from a 20L breeder. I have made it into an AIO and I need to get a light. My plan is to use it first as a qt because I need a couple more fish but once that is done I want to use it as a frag tank. If I need a qt down the road I will get a 10g. I have been considering going on the cheap and get a "black box". Its not like this is going to be on display. Sitting in the garage at the moment. Any ideas?

Ron Reefman
10/06/2017, 03:59 PM
A step up from the black box look is the Ocean Revive, but I think they may be hurting. I have one I hang onto as a back up. If looks isn't an issue, any good black box is good for a QT or a Frag tank.

solitude127
10/06/2017, 04:50 PM
I would try to mimic the type of lighting that's on your DT

JTL
10/06/2017, 06:02 PM
^That would be the Reefbreeders. Of course this entire decision is a moving target.

Ron Reefman
10/07/2017, 04:36 AM
I have 4 tanks and 3 different lighting fixtures (all leds), 2 RB Photon V2's, a ReeFi-Labs pendant and a Beta test unit from... well, it's a pretty different unit and runs at a slightly low PAR level. I move coral back and forth between these 3 systems all the time and I can't ever remember having any issues with acclimation. Before I went all led I had a 6 bulb t5 fixture (replaced with the Beta unit) and there was still no issues.