PDA

View Full Version : Best tank of the two?

roksonic
10/07/2017, 04:16 PM
I have the option of two tanks. One is 30G and one is 60G.
Lighting for the unforeseeable future will be a 48" 4-Bulb T5 system.

30G for 35$
Length: 30"
Height: 18.5"
Width/depth: 12.5"

60G for Free
Length: 36"
Height: 30"
Width/Depth: 13"

I'm not sure if it's just me and my lack of experience but is 12.5-13" inches too narrow of a tank?

My last option would be get both and use the 30G as a sump or refugium for the 60g.

Which would you all suggest, I know many of you will say 60G because a higher volume is better for stability and all but I like small scale/easier to maintain a bit. I only intend on having a light bioload.

What are you thoughts and things I might be missing because of my lack of experience?

Also anyone have a good guide to initial tank cycling?

Thank you,

mcgyvr
10/07/2017, 04:37 PM
Personally I wouldn't do either..
As you said 12-13" width sucks..

and I wouldn't pay $35 for a 30G tank either as you can get them for $30 new at the petco $1/gallon sale which happens multiple times during the year..
on the 60G the 30" depth would be horrible too with only 13" width..

I'd suggest taking some time to learn about whats needed for this hobby while you decide what YOU want.. The size tank,etc.. should 100% be your decision..

I'll throw out a suggestion though on a tank.. A "40 breeder" is fantastic dimensions for a smaller tank...
A 40b display and 40b sump would be very nice too.. if you want to keep relatively small..

But yes as you said.. more water volume is better for stability but its more water/more money/more of everything else too..
Its really not hard to maintain a stable small tank..

again though.. ALL your decision..

lionfish300
10/07/2017, 04:47 PM
mcgyvr is absolute right I would not do neither and 40B is awesome for small set up

jayball
10/07/2017, 04:56 PM
If you are going to use a 4 ft light fixture than get a 4-5 ft tank. Seriously no exceptions here, the light spill will drive you crazy.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

roksonic
10/07/2017, 05:01 PM
Personally I wouldn't do either..
As you said 12-13" width sucks..

and I wouldn't pay $35 for a 30G tank either as you can get them for $30 new at the petco $1/gallon sale which happens multiple times during the year..
on the 60G the 30" depth would be horrible too with only 13" width..

I'd suggest taking some time to learn about whats needed for this hobby while you decide what YOU want.. The size tank,etc.. should 100% be your decision..

I'll throw out a suggestion though on a tank.. A "40 breeder" is fantastic dimensions for a smaller tank...
A 40b display and 40b sump would be very nice too.. if you want to keep relatively small..

But yes as you said.. more water volume is better for stability but its more water/more money/more of everything else too..
Its really not hard to maintain a stable small tank..

again though.. ALL your decision..

I rely on experienced members opinions to avoid making costly mistakes haha

I didn't know about that Dollar/Gallon sale and it seems that one is coming up towards the end of this month so I'll wait until then and do research in the meantime then pick up a 40B (I like that size). I'll look into plumbing/waterflows for sumps too because of all the things that is the one thing i still don't understand in the slightest
:thumbsup:

roksonic
10/07/2017, 05:02 PM
If you are going to use a 4 ft light fixture than get a 4-5 ft tank. Seriously no exceptions here, the light spill will drive you crazy.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I do intend on getting a LED system eventually I just don't know when that's all.
Is light spill bad for the tank/inhabitants?

ericp351
10/07/2017, 05:56 PM
Light spill is just annoying to look at. It will be difficult to look at the tank with a longer light. What about getting a black box led or two?

roksonic
10/07/2017, 06:08 PM
Light spill is just annoying to look at. It will be difficult to look at the tank with a longer light. What about getting a black box led or two?

Yea I was thinking 2 Black boxes will be my next step up. This 48" is just a left over from my 75G reef from like 6 years ago so I'll probably list it on CL or Letgo then and get the black boxes.

Lsufan
10/07/2017, 10:44 PM
I find a 20 L to work well as a sump on a 40 breeder. I wouldn’t go any smaller then that & the deminsions are a lot better for a sump then a 20 H aquarium. If u could fit a 40 breeder as a sump then that would be even better.

If I was certain I was going to get a couple eventually, I would go ahead & get one to start. The 48” won’t work well at all on a 36” tank, so instead of waiting $ on a cheap light go ahead & put that towards a black box. U have time before u have to worry about the light. It takes a while to get the setup going once u have the aquariums. Then once u get it going u have another month or two to cycle the tank. U don’t have to have a light while u cycle. U really don’t need one until u start to add livestock.

Reefer40b
10/08/2017, 01:18 AM
40b + a 20L sump =you wont regret it!

mcgyvr
10/08/2017, 07:21 AM
BTW.. The 40b isn't included as part of the $1/gallon sale anymore but its typically on sale during that time and I think its like $55 or so.. close enough.. still a great price..

ReefMaster48
10/08/2017, 07:59 AM
I just setup a 40B with 20L sump, and am loving it! Any questions/ideas/thoughts/concerns for the setup, shoot em my way!