PDA

View Full Version : Fish guaranteed to eat hair algae

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 12:00 PM
I need a recommendation for a fish that's guaranteed to eat hair algae, peaceful but not prone to being bullied, and can comfortably thrive in a 320 gallon tank.

Bonus points if it is a centerpiece fish, as this is likely the last large fish I add to this tank.

Thanks!

Lincoln 993
10/08/2017, 12:13 PM
Guarantee is a hard word... I've heard that Foxface eat hair algae. My biggest success was with using an Algae Scrubber (not the rough pad, but the DIY thing). Grow the hair algae in another place and then use it as fertilizer for my plants. People have good luck with refugiums too. The best way to deal with HA is nutrient control, and since I don't like doing water changes, I just trick the algae into growing somewhere else since in most cases I'm smarter than algae lol. Good luck!

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks.

I'm not looking for nutrient control suggestions, just fish. Not trying to be rude, I just want it focused on fish.

ReefTeacher
10/08/2017, 01:22 PM
Most of the angels I have had will nibble on it in some amount. Unfortunately, they may also nibble on other things!

Gweeds
10/08/2017, 01:41 PM
There is no such thing as a fish that's 'guaranteed' to eat GHA... that's like saying every human is guaranteed to like broccoli... just doesn't happen. There are those fish MORE likely than not to eat it, including bristletooth tangs, foxfaces, algae blennies, dwarf angels and some damsels. That's not a definitive list obvs, add to that a plethora of inverts that'll eat it, like Mexican turbos, seahares, some urchins and mithrax crabs...

If what you're after is a 'guaranteed' way to remove GHA, that my friend, is elbow grease and nutrient export, not fish.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 04:38 PM
I've been contemplating a white tail bristletooth, a multibar angelfish, and a magnificent foxface. I've read bristletooth can become aggressive, I'm not sure how effective a multibar would be, and I'm a little concerned with how large foxfaces can become.

I also eyed a convict tang, but they're pricy on diver's den and kind of plain looking. I also don't know if my tank is really large enough.

Don't get hung up on "guaranteed". A 9/10 probability is fine.

nereefpat
10/08/2017, 05:11 PM
I think any Zebrasoma so would be much more likely to eat hair algae than any Ctenochaetus (bristetooth) tang. How about a yellow, purple or scopus? What is your current fish list?

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 05:31 PM
I think any Zebrasoma so would be much more likely to eat hair algae than any Ctenochaetus (bristetooth) tang. How about a yellow, purple or scopus? What is your current fish list?
That's good info.

Maybe a purple... I just don't want aggression.

Currently, I've got:

2 False Percula clowns
2 Bristletail filefish
1 Copperband butterfly
2 Black Spot angelfish
5 Red Spot Cardinal fish
1 Starry Blenny
3 Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 2 female)

nereefpat
10/08/2017, 06:12 PM
Awesome stocklist. I understand why you would want to keep it peaceful, and you would be sick if something happened to that butterfly or those angels.

I like the magnificent foxface. Several big, Mexican turbo snails would probably help too, although it sounds like you want a fish.

ca1ore
10/08/2017, 06:17 PM
Bristles aren't particularly good GHA eaters. My zebrasomas all eat it, as does my zebra tang (regular convict is good too). None of them will touch bryopsis though.

vinman
10/08/2017, 07:20 PM
Lawnmower Blenny? Wouldn't be a centerpiece fish but would do the job i presume.

AZReef13
10/08/2017, 07:33 PM
The Court jester gobies; Koumansetta rainfordi, are also know to eat hair algae

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 07:56 PM
Bristles aren't particularly good GHA eaters. My zebrasomas all eat it, as does my zebra tang (regular convict is good too). None of them will touch bryopsis though.

How do you like the zebra? I mentioned convict before, but I really meant zebra.

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 07:57 PM
Awesome stocklist. I understand why you would want to keep it peaceful, and you would be sick if something happened to that butterfly or those angels.

I like the magnificent foxface. Several big, Mexican turbo snails would probably help too, although it sounds like you want a fish.
Thanks. The magnificent foxface is on the short list, for sure.

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 08:00 PM
The Court jester gobies; Koumansetta rainfordi, are also know to eat hair algae
Interesting, thanks.

Lawnmower Blenny? Wouldn't be a centerpiece fish but would do the job i presume.
I'm afraid it might fight with my starry blenny. I've had one before, though. His name was Lenny, and he went carpet surfing a few years ago. Nice fish. In fact, I wrote a limerick about him after it happened. *Ahem*

There once was a blenny named Lenny
His accomplishments weren't very many
But he made me smile
Every once in a while
Until he carpet surfed at 4:20

karimwassef
10/08/2017, 08:12 PM
real rabbitfish (double bar) - ravenous consumer of anything algae based

ca1ore
10/08/2017, 10:23 PM
How do you like the zebra? I mentioned convict before, but I really meant zebra.

Behaves just like the regular convict, just a few extra stripes and a lot more $$$ :lol:. I personally think it is a very cool fish and worth the extra coin.

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 10:26 PM
real rabbitfish (double bar) - ravenous consumer of anything algae based

Thanks. Gets up to 11"? Yikes. Are they not very active swimmers?

karimwassef
10/08/2017, 10:26 PM
not in captivity they don't.

mine is in an 8' tank and doing fine.

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 10:31 PM
Behaves just like the regular convict, just a few extra stripes and a lot more $$$ :lol:. I personally think it is a very cool fish and worth the extra coin.
Yeah, those extra stripes are at a premium. I'm not really familiar with regular convicts, either. I feel bad keeping schooling fish as singles, so I'm not sure if I'd get just one, and at that price...not so sure.

ca1ore
10/08/2017, 10:35 PM
I think groups of tangs in our tanks are problematic. I only ever keep one of each species (up to 10 at last count).

HippieSmell
10/08/2017, 11:21 PM
Will foxfaces eat algae off the glass? Or, in my case, acrylic? Can their teeth scratch acrylic?

alton
10/09/2017, 04:59 AM
The best fish is the Hawaiian Chevron Tang. Eats algae from rocks and glass. Look awesome as a juvy, blaw as a sub adult, but then neat as an adult.

karimwassef
10/09/2017, 08:12 AM
Rabbitfish mouths are designed to consume all kinds of vegetable matter - they are indiscriminate and constantly ravenous. Multiple scientific studies point to their critical ecological role in removing algae and recycling nutrients.

HippieSmell
10/09/2017, 12:26 PM
Well, I just purchased a Magnificent Foxface from Diver's Den. It seemed like the best option for me, even though I had reservations about the size and venemous spines.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Frogmanx82
10/09/2017, 12:35 PM
The foxface can eat hair algae but won't touch diatoms on the glass. The bristletooth tangs are best for that. My kole tang ate some hair algae it the really can't pull at it like the foxface

Frogmanx82
10/09/2017, 12:43 PM
The foxface can eat hair algae but won't touch diatoms on the glass. The bristletooth tangs are best for that. My kole tang ate some hair algae but can't pull at it like the foxface

HippieSmell
10/09/2017, 12:45 PM
The foxface can eat hair algae but won't touch diatoms on the glass. The bristletooth tangs are best for that. My kole tang ate some hair algae it the really can't pull at it like the foxface

That's ok, I don't have a diatom problem, it's all gha on the rocks, back and side panes. I'd actually rather it not chomp on the front pane, because it's acrylic.

LJLKRL
10/09/2017, 01:06 PM
Will foxfaces eat algae off the glass? Or, in my case, acrylic? Can their teeth scratch acrylic?

I have a one spot foxface and he never touches the glass. He is a big fraidy cat though.

karimwassef
10/09/2017, 05:46 PM
While foxface is a type of rabbitfish, it has a specialized mouth and not a universal algae eater like the true rabbitfish.

ca1ore
10/10/2017, 04:21 PM

I wonder. Is a good question.

xCry0x
10/10/2017, 05:17 PM
Is there a reason why you are opting for a fish and not just getting some turbo snails?

Turbo snails are hands down top algae eradicators assuming you don't have snail killers in your tank.

HippieSmell
10/10/2017, 05:36 PM
I wonder. Is a good question.
I'm about to find out...

HippieSmell
10/10/2017, 05:46 PM
Is there a reason why you are opting for a fish and not just getting some turbo snails?

Turbo snails are hands down top algae eradicators assuming you don't have snail killers in your tank.
My two bristletails and copperband have created a graveyard of snail shells in my tank. Any overturned snail gets mauled in short order. I just kind of hate snails. Too finicky. Plus, fish are cool. I like some of my fish to serve a function in the tank. Pest anemones are taken care of, now I need algae gone.

This tank has been up for a year, and I've already gotten bryopsis, which was taken care of with Epsom salt, then aiptasia because of a lapse in husbandry, and now gha for unknown reasons.

fryebaby9431
10/11/2017, 03:59 PM
Lawnmower blenny!!! Mine eats algae all day long. Put a huge dent in my hair algae problem now it’s almost all gone. Lawnmower blenny will definitely do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aslmx
10/11/2017, 04:52 PM
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+524+726&pcatid=726
One of these babies will eat it all and quickly but you must rehome it when it's done or it will starve. I've never saw a fish eat hair algae.

Frogmanx82
10/11/2017, 08:30 PM
Then there is fluconazole. Worked wonders for me. It's not the final solution but it gets you out from under a bad situation and can keep you from giving up.

HippieSmell
10/12/2017, 05:38 PM
I understand people want to help, but why suggest non fish solutions when I'm specifically asking for suggestions of fish? Like I posted earlier, I already purchased a magnificent foxface. You know, because I wanted a fish...

People always want you to do it their way.

Bpb
10/12/2017, 07:15 PM
Second the recommendation of a big rabbitfish. Magnificent foxface would be a good choice. They do a marvelous job at all hair algae’s and eat bubble algae like candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

justletmein
10/12/2017, 07:50 PM
I've got a couple goby looking critters I caught in the bay down here in Texas Gulf that are ferocious on the hair algae, they nip and tear it all day long non-stop. Unfortunately I have no idea what they are as of yet but I'll find out.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+524+726&pcatid=726
One of these babies will eat it all and quickly but you must rehome it when it's done or it will starve. I've never saw a fish eat hair algae.

I don't believe that's the right one, think the one you want is Dolabella auricularia.

karimwassef
10/13/2017, 10:17 AM
Pictures!

justletmein
10/14/2017, 06:41 PM
Pictures!

Here's one, finally got a good pic. That fat belly is full of hair algae, eats it like spaghetti.

https://i.imgur.com/7009o0I.jpg

HippieSmell
10/14/2017, 07:55 PM
Breed them and make $$billions$$

karimwassef
10/14/2017, 07:55 PM
Looks like a creek chub baby
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fundulus_heteroclitus.jpg

alprazo
10/14/2017, 08:05 PM
It is hit or miss, based on the individual fish over species. I’ve tried most listed and to be honest the best out there is the nudibranch. They will reproduce like crazy and eventually all die off when there is no food left.

Btw. The above fish looks like a sheepshead minnow or a similar species. An early maturing male, they tend to develop a blue sheen on their back

justletmein
10/14/2017, 08:45 PM
Looks like a creek chub baby
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fundulus_heteroclitus.jpg

Dorsal fin appears to be too far back on that one.

It is hit or miss, based on the individual fish over species. I’ve tried most listed and to be honest the best out there is the nudibranch. They will reproduce like crazy and eventually all die off when there is no food left.

Btw. The above fish looks like a sheepshead minnow or a similar species. An early maturing male, they tend to develop a blue sheen on their back

You may be on to something, I have an older/larger one as well and it's got a good bit more blue sheen. I thought he'd messed up his scales.

Jon0807
10/14/2017, 11:31 PM
A single yellow eye kole tang wiped out all the GHA in my tank. Plus he's a great looking fish!

justletmein
10/17/2017, 10:49 PM
Somebody it my other thread got an ID which I think is spot on for my little mystery fish.

Sheepshead Minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus)
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/sheepsheadminnow/

Sheepshead minnows are euryhaline (they can be found in freshwater as well as saltwater). They prefer quiet, shallow waters and have been found in saltwater bays and estuaries, as well as coastal inland areas such as creeks, canals and ditches. Sheepshead minnows are an important link in the coastal food chain. Their diet consists of plant material, algae, detritus (decomposing dead/animal matter), mosquitoes and smaller fish.

Uncle99
10/19/2017, 11:51 AM
I tried many of the above solution for green hair over the years, the only one that worked for me was the lawnmower Blen...... Got him about 3 years ago and by keeping nitrate and phosphate in control with NoPox plus this Blen I have virtually zero green hair on the rocks.
This fish does its job well

fishsuse29
10/25/2017, 01:04 PM
I understand people want to help, but why suggest non fish solutions when I'm specifically asking for suggestions of fish? Like I posted earlier, I already purchased a magnificent foxface. You know, because I wanted a fish...

People always want you to do it their way.

How is Magnificent foxface working on your hair alage? I recently purchased a regular foxface and he seems to show no interest :(

HippieSmell
10/25/2017, 01:12 PM
How is Magnificent foxface working on your hair alage? I recently purchased a regular foxface and he seems to show no interest :(

So far, he's picking at rocks and sand. He's eating, but not exactly devouring the long hair algae. The tank is making progress, however. We'll see if he becomes more aggressive. He's a small fish, about 3 inches, and I have a large tank.

cjpitt80
12/13/2018, 01:12 AM
So far, he's picking at rocks and sand. He's eating, but not exactly devouring the long hair algae. The tank is making progress, however. We'll see if he becomes more aggressive. He's a small fish, about 3 inches, and I have a large tank.

Any update on this? I'm considering a Magnificent Foxface as well, but I'm thinking it may be too large for my tank. I may go with a bristletooth Tang instead

Fish559
12/13/2018, 12:41 PM
I had a purple for 2.5 years. No algae in tank. Swapped him for a tiny blue tang. Algae on rocks.

Zebras are great for algae, at least in my experience.

Joe0813
12/13/2018, 01:41 PM
Foxface can eat coral. They can also be massive jerks. Mine killed my purple tang

earwicker7
12/13/2018, 02:59 PM
I've been contemplating a white tail bristletooth, a multibar angelfish, and a magnificent foxface. I've read bristletooth can become aggressive, I'm not sure how effective a multibar would be, and I'm a little concerned with how large foxfaces can become.

I also eyed a convict tang, but they're pricy on diver's den and kind of plain looking. I also don't know if my tank is really large enough.

Don't get hung up on "guaranteed". A 9/10 probability is fine.

I have a white tailed bristletooth and a magnificent foxface.

The bristletooth gets along well with all of its tank mates. Both of them nibble on short hair algae, but completely ignore anything that's more than a 1/4" long, so if you're using them to get rid of a major hair algae problem, I don't think they will help.

candymancan
12/13/2018, 06:14 PM
my astrea snails eat it like crazy.. so does my pin cushion urchin

IveGotSunshine
12/13/2018, 09:00 PM
Let us know how the foxface works out for you.=, I was considering one too! I personally dont think any of the fish typically go out of their way to eat GHA bc better food is usually available. If there were some fish/inverts that could seriously handle it, I dont think it would be the most common salt water tank issue that it is. I have turbo snails, urchins, sailfin algae blenny, yellow tang,hippo tang, I had a naso and a nudibranch and a quyoi parrotfish before, I have emerald crabs etc- nothing ever eats the GHA that I have ever seen. (Or, if they do, it has been such a small amount it has made no visible impact.)- but thats just for me personally. Id love to hear if a foxface works for you- I have a 220 so I have some space.

earwicker7
12/15/2018, 04:45 PM
Let us know how the foxface works out for you.=, I was considering one too! I personally dont think any of the fish typically go out of their way to eat GHA bc better food is usually available. If there were some fish/inverts that could seriously handle it, I dont think it would be the most common salt water tank issue that it is. I have turbo snails, urchins, sailfin algae blenny, yellow tang,hippo tang, I had a naso and a nudibranch and a quyoi parrotfish before, I have emerald crabs etc- nothing ever eats the GHA that I have ever seen. (Or, if they do, it has been such a small amount it has made no visible impact.)- but thats just for me personally. Id love to hear if a foxface works for you- I have a 220 so I have some space.

What urchins do you have? I have long-spines in my tank, and they will chow down on hair algae if it gets in their path.

lapin
12/15/2018, 05:15 PM
I never had much luck with fish eating all my algae. What I thought was fishing eating algae in one of my tanks turned out to be a long spined urchin that came as a stowaway on some live rock. In my current tank I have a pencil urchin that's the size of my fist. Eats everything in its path.

HippieSmell
01/22/2019, 03:00 PM
Update: He’s a great fish and eats hair algae, but he doesn’t keep my tank algae free. He helps, but he’s not a cure all. I’m still glad I have him, though!

neoh74
01/23/2019, 05:02 PM
My lawnmower Bleny used to mow my tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk