PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound ok for initial fill up?

MrApplebee
10/08/2017, 12:03 PM
Hi guys, I am going to set up my first reef tank next weekend. This is my plan for the day. (My tank is 4 foot long and the system is 460 litres. 340 litre tank and 120 litre sump)

On the day I am going to my LFS (Maidenhead aquatics) to purchase 400 litres of salt water and enough live sand for the tank. I'm going for a fairly shallow sand bed. Around 2 to 3 inches. I'm buying 400 litres of salt water as I guess the sand and rock will take up a fair few litres so I won't need the full amount of the tank volume.

I am going to put the sand in the tank first and then put around half of my salt water in.

I am then going to drive to another place where I will be picking up 50kg of live rock. I will then put the live rock into the tank and arrange it as I like.

I am then going to add the rest of my salt water and set up all the equipment to get the water flowing. (Pump, vortech mp40, skimmer, heater, tunze auto top up)

*i have decided to hold off on the phosphate reactor and see if I actually need it as I go along. Is this a good decision?

Anything I'm missing here guys as far as the initial set up goes?

Thanks

Mike : )

Sk8r
10/08/2017, 12:42 PM
Put your ugly rock down first, then add your sand, then add your prettiest rock. I use a piece of lighting grid (plastic) to keep the point-load of the rocks off the glass. If you put rock atop the sand, you risk a rockslide, as various creatures burrow and move sand. If your rock is fully conditioned you won't need a phosphate reactor as much; if not, you definitely should have it running, and change the medium monthly.

MrApplebee
10/08/2017, 12:52 PM
Put your ugly rock down first, then add your sand, then add your prettiest rock. I use a piece of lighting grid (plastic) to keep the point-load of the rocks off the glass. If you put rock atop the sand, you risk a rockslide, as various creatures burrow and move sand. If your rock is fully conditioned you won't need a phosphate reactor as much; if not, you definitely should have it running, and change the medium monthly.

Brilliant, thatsbthe kind of advice I appreciate. Didn't think about that with the rocks and sand. Makes perfect sense though. The rock is fully cured apparently so I'll hang off with the phosphate filter.