PDA

View Full Version : Which magnetic cleaner for acrylic aquariums?

ozorowsky
10/08/2017, 09:58 PM
The acrylic is approx 3/4 to 1" thick; I bought an aqueon magnet but it sucks. Doesn't float, and not very strong (Bought biggest I could find on amazon).

Can anyone tell me a mag float type cleaner that actually works?

Thanks for your time.

Daltonbilecki
10/09/2017, 05:09 AM
Flipper is worth every penny. Just be careful not to get sand in between as you might scratch the acrylic

ozorowsky
10/09/2017, 07:15 AM
Flipper is worth every penny. Just be careful not to get sand in between as you might scratch the acrylic

Thank you; what do you do with the blade on the flipper magnet? just remove it?

Devolver
10/09/2017, 07:31 AM
Thank you; what do you do with the blade on the flipper magnet? just remove it?

it comes with a steel blade for glass or a plastic blade for acrylic. just use the plastic blade

but be warned that the flipper that works on 3/4" does not float either. I have not had any problems with mine but it has sank to the bottom a couple times over the last year

ozorowsky
10/09/2017, 07:39 AM
it comes with a steel blade for glass or a plastic blade for acrylic. just use the plastic blade

but be warned that the flipper that works on 3/4" does not float either. I have not had any problems with mine but it has sank to the bottom a couple times over the last year

Thanks! One more question; do you know if this floats?

MrsReefK
10/09/2017, 09:17 AM
+1 on the flipper. It's doesn't float right to the top, but it stays suspended when not in front of a powerhead if it comes off. We've tried every option out there and flipper is the one for our thick acyrlic. The only negative is the plastic "blade" wears out. Check out my build thread for a mod for the flipper using hotel room key cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozorowsky
10/09/2017, 09:22 AM
Only issue I see with the flipper is it doesn't float :( I'm going to have one side of this tank against a wall with a shadow box type window. If this falls to the bottom will be hard to get to.

Any other recommendations on something that is fairly large (for 340 gallon tank so you don't have to make 1000 passes) floats and won't harm the acrylic?

Dmorty217
10/09/2017, 09:23 AM
The acrylic is approx 3/4 to 1" thick; I bought an aqueon magnet but it sucks. Doesn't float, and not very strong (Bought biggest I could find on amazon).

Can anyone tell me a mag float type cleaner that actually works?

Thanks for your time.

This is the best one available and will work much better than a flipper that doesn't float, especially if the tank is 1" (no plastic blades involved either)

http://www.mightymagnets.com/

ozorowsky
10/09/2017, 09:26 AM
This is the best one available and will work much better than a flipper that doesn't float, especially if the tank is 1" (no plastic blades involved either)

http://www.mightymagnets.com/

This one looks good but their 1/2" to 1" scraper is $219 bucks?? Seems crazy pricey.

MrsReefK
10/09/2017, 11:22 AM
Only issue I see with the flipper is it doesn't float :( I'm going to have one side of this tank against a wall with a shadow box type window. If this falls to the bottom will be hard to get to.

Any other recommendations on something that is fairly large (for 340 gallon tank so you don't have to make 1000 passes) floats and won't harm the acrylic?

In my experience I've never, ever had it fall to the bottom. It suspends. Granted, I've never given it time to fall to the bottom I guess. My tank is 290 gallons, so I understand the difficulty of fishing it out (hence why I quickly replaced the Tunze (drops like a heavy brick to the bottom) with the flipper and have never once had to manually pull out the flipper. I was pulling the Tunze out often with my grabbers.

snowlynx
10/09/2017, 11:49 AM
Crazy Crazy Prices!!!

Cost more than a premium fish tank or sump

Dmorty217
10/09/2017, 12:50 PM
This one looks good but their 1/2" to 1" scraper is $219 bucks?? Seems crazy pricey.

It's about like everything else in the hobby, 219 is a drop in the bucket in this hobby

ca1ore
10/09/2017, 12:56 PM
Magnets that will work acceptably on 1" glass or acrylic are expensive. I tried all the mass market options on a test piece of 1" acrylic and none worked acceptably. Perhaps 3/4 is a tad more mag-float friendly. I ended up buying the unit from MM for 1 - 1 1/4 inch walls.

kmbyrnes
10/10/2017, 05:14 AM
I bit the bullet and bought a Magnavore 6ER for my 3/4" Acrylic. Hated the $$ at the time but it has turned out to be money well spent.

http://www.magnavore.com/store/en/magnetic-algae-cleaners/30-magnavore-6er.html

Sk8r
10/10/2017, 09:24 AM
I'd go with the Tunze Easy Care magnet cleaner: I use the glass blade, but there is a plastic one, and I can say you'd have to work hard to trap sand with this device [scratch-hazard with most mag cleaners.]

MrsReefK
10/10/2017, 10:05 AM
I'd go with the Tunze Easy Care magnet cleaner: I use the glass blade, but there is a plastic one, and I can say you'd have to work hard to trap sand with this device [scratch-hazard with most mag cleaners.]

Glad to hear you've had good experience with Tunze. Mine falls off constantly, such a pain! We do have a hex front that it doesn't seem to like though.

xCry0x
10/10/2017, 02:45 PM
I used a magfloat that was labeled as acrylic and the velcro scratched the crap out of my tank.

Fortunately it was a small tank so I ended up just using an old credit card to clean it.

If you want to go the cheap route, I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't use something like : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSWXC3I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instead of a razor blade just cut an old credit card in half, hole punch two holes on it and stick it on the end. Done -- $14 scraper that would work great. I use that for my glass tank (with a razor blade) and love it.