PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium magnet??

ozorowsky
10/09/2017, 09:18 AM
What are you guys using for an aquarium magnet for 3/4" thick acrylic that floats? Reason I ask is I'm building my new tank setup against the wall. I'm going to build a shadow box type setup so one side of wall tank will be flush (not totally built in) and other side will be a recessed type window to see the tank from the living room.

I need something that A) won't scratch the acrylic B) Floats in case it ever comes off and C) is good sized so we don't have to make 1000 passes when cleaning the acrylic.

shaginwagon13
10/09/2017, 09:31 AM
What are you guys using for an aquarium magnet for 3/4" thick acrylic that floats? Reason I ask is I'm building my new tank setup against the wall. I'm going to build a shadow box type setup so one side of wall tank will be flush (not totally built in) and other side will be a recessed type window to see the tank from the living room.

I need something that A) won't scratch the acrylic B) Floats in case it ever comes off and C) is good sized so we don't have to make 1000 passes when cleaning the acrylic.

You can read reefer experiences and recommendations here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2414578

I use this and love it:
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/algaefree-great-white-magnet-scraper.html

Keep in mind that I have a glass tank. Acrylic scratches easier so keep that in mind when buying. You will have to be more careful when cleaning you don’t have any Knicks or sand in or under the blade or magnet or you will have a higher chance of scraping the acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozorowsky
10/09/2017, 09:51 AM
Thanks all!

Whats wrong with Magnavore? I couldn't remember the name of it but used it on my last reef tank 6 years ago and LOVED IT. I was able to remember sifting through that thread you linked.

shaginwagon13
10/09/2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks all!

Whats wrong with Magnavore? I couldn't remember the name of it but used it on my last reef tank 6 years ago and LOVED IT. I was able to remember sifting through that thread you linked.

If you have used this brand and loved it, then use it. I’ve never personally used or heard of that brand so I can’t comment on how it works. Whatever system you go with, just make sure your careful as acrylic tends to scratch and scuff easier than glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lagatbezan
10/09/2017, 11:33 AM
I think with acrylic the key is to clean the tank as often as possible so that there is not a lot of build up making it harder to clean and requiring a lot of passes.
for daily passes I use a flipper and when i'm lazy and its been a few weeks I use a magfloat and take magic erasers, cut them into thin sections and rubber band it to the magnet for the inside. It cleans really well and no scratches.
keep in mind the stronger the magnet, the more damage it can do if/when something gets between it while you are cleaning.

ozorowsky
10/09/2017, 11:34 AM
I think with acrylic the key is to clean the tank as often as possible so that there is not a lot of build up making it harder to clean and requiring a lot of passes.
I personally use a magfloat and take magic erasers, cut them into thin sections and rubber band it to the magnet for the inside. It cleans really well and no scratches.
keep in mind the stronger the magnet, the more damage it can do if/when something gets between it while you are cleaning.

GREAT Advice!

Dmorty217
10/10/2017, 07:18 AM
I still stand by Mighty Magnet, yes they are expensive but so is anything else worth it in this hobby. Also they are the only real option for a tank that is 1", if the $220 price is scaring you away then I think you are in for a reality check on what a tank like you're setting up is going to cost you in equipment, upkeep and electricity monthly

shaginwagon13
10/10/2017, 07:24 AM
I still stand by Mighty Magnet

Not to hijack, where do you buy these? Never heard of them and would be willing to take a look.

ozorowsky
10/10/2017, 07:30 AM
I still stand by Mighty Magnet, yes they are expensive but so is anything else worth it in this hobby. Also they are the only real option for a tank that is 1", if the $220 price is scaring you away then I think you are in for a reality check on what a tank like you're setting up is going to cost you in equipment, upkeep and electricity monthly

$220 price isn't "scaring me away" just no need to spend money where its not necessary ya know? IE: My 2015 mustang has 15,000 miles. Every time I do an engine mod (shooting for 1000 wheel horsepower) they say swap the plugs at $100 a pop. I've been through 5 sets of spark plugs so far, and now that I'm sleeving my motor and building it stronger they said hey buy more plugs. I was like nah I'll save the $100; I just have 500 miles on this set.

So there's a difference in hobbies between sensible and stupid. If you have to pay for something then you pay. If you get same or similar quality for half the price why would anyone NOT go the cheaper route?

Dmorty217
10/10/2017, 08:19 AM
Not to hijack, where do you buy these? Never heard of them and would be willing to take a look.

http://www.mightymagnets.com/

Dmorty217
10/10/2017, 08:24 AM
$220 price isn't "scaring me away" just no need to spend money where its not necessary ya know? IE: My 2015 mustang has 15,000 miles. Every time I do an engine mod (shooting for 1000 wheel horsepower) they say swap the plugs at $100 a pop. I've been through 5 sets of spark plugs so far, and now that I'm sleeving my motor and building it stronger they said hey buy more plugs. I was like nah I'll save the $100; I just have 500 miles on this set.

So there's a difference in hobbies between sensible and stupid. If you have to pay for something then you pay. If you get same or similar quality for half the price why would anyone NOT go the cheaper route?

I fully agree with you on similar quality for a cheaper price is clearly the better option since most of us are limited on disposable income. I would equate this to Jeabo and Ecotech, they seem similar and one is less than half the price of the other but they are worlds apart.

ca1ore
10/10/2017, 08:40 AM
I bought the F6 mighty magnet model. Buddy of mine has it and believes it is the superior option for thicker walled acrylic tanks. MM also make scratch removal kits. Not cheap, but nothing in this hobby is.

ozorowsky
10/10/2017, 08:46 AM
I bought the F6 mighty magnet model. Buddy of mine has it and believes it is the superior option for thicker walled acrylic tanks. MM also make scratch removal kits. Not cheap, but nothing in this hobby is.

Nothing in any "hobby" is ever cheap lol.

ca1ore
10/10/2017, 08:48 AM
:lol: true indeed.

Drblakjak55
10/10/2017, 06:02 PM
For around 20$ on Amazon, I am using a Kedsum magnet. Sucker is 3X5 inches floats and is working great on my 125 Glass tank. Sheet says ok for acrylic also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tkeracer619
10/14/2017, 07:07 PM
I use a magnavore 6er. I've used most brands but choose magnavore for my own tanks. They're great. With acrylic put a piece of dobie pad under the wet side. It feels sharp but is teflon so it won't scratch the acrylic, it also gives sand and debris a place to go instead of being dragged across the tank. I do this for glass as well.

Dobie pads are those cheap yellow sponge with white plastic cover cleaning pads you get at grocery store. Just cut the plastic off of the sponge.

HippieSmell
10/14/2017, 10:14 PM
I use a mighty magnet with the outside of a Dobie pad wrapped around it, which I believe is the same as mm algae cutter pads. Just buy the algae cutter pads with the magnet and don't mess around with multiple Dobie pads and rubber bands like I did.

On the dry side I wrap a new kimwipe sheet around it so it's always clean and doesn't have some errant metal shaving stuck to it.
https://www.amazon.com/Kimtech-Science-Kimwipes-Delicate-Wipers/dp/B008N1YRZW/ref=pd_sim_121_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008N1YRZW&pd_rd_r=W5XYX8S1C27GNQMTN6ZD&pd_rd_w=lzMHj&pd_rd_wg=8uuh3&psc=1&refRID=W5XYX8S1C27GNQMTN6ZD
Also great for cleaning the acrylic with some Plexus