PDA

View Full Version : Sick clownfish with white chin?

reilly2524
10/09/2017, 09:55 AM
I got these two clowns from my lfs yesterday, they had quarantine and treatment the fish (preemptive treated) the clowns had been there for about 4 weeks and he said they were eating well, I’ve noticed that one of them has some white around their chin(doesn’t appear to be bumpy or powdery just discolored) . Also he has been swimming head down right next to the glass (not constantly but often) (one of the pictures shows this) is there something wrong with the fish?

Jdub968
10/09/2017, 12:34 PM
Is the white white spot on his left side also a spot on him or not? Is he eating for you? And have you noticed any heavy breathing flashing scratching ?
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=380854&d=1507564378

reilly2524
10/09/2017, 01:07 PM
Is the white white spot on his left side also a spot on him or not? Is he eating for you? And have you noticed any heavy breathing flashing scratching ?
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=380854&d=1507564378

The white on his side is just part of his pattern. He is eating, not a lot but some, I don’t know if he is breathing heavy or not, he’s not opening his mouth a lot if that counts for anything, and I haven’t seen him scratching against any rocks

reilly2524
10/09/2017, 01:13 PM
Actually not just after feeding them he is opening his mouth a lot, I turned off the circulation to feed I don’t know if that would be a factor, the other clown occasionally head butts the side of the one in question. (These guys were paired up at the lfs)

reilly2524
10/09/2017, 01:17 PM
Actually it appears that both the clowns are opening their mouth a lot now that I’ve fed them ( maybe their opening to catch food?)

Jdub968
10/09/2017, 01:24 PM
White patches that are not raised like a bump can be a concern for bacterial infections there is a couple options 1- you could dose seachem stress gaurd to the tank and it will provide an anticeptic to the area, if it's a sore or wound you migh see it change a blue color after the seachem binds to it. 2- you could give him an Acriflavin bath which is also an anticeptic. 3- you could put him in a ht and treat with Kanaplex.

reilly2524
10/09/2017, 01:33 PM
White patches that are not raised like a bump can be a concern for bacterial infections there is a couple options 1- you could dose seachem stress gaurd to the tank and it will provide an anticeptic to the area, if it's a sore or wound you migh see it change a blue color after the seachem binds to it. 2- you could give him an Acriflavin bath which is also an anticeptic. 3- you could put him in a ht and treat with Kanaplex.

Great I have none of that, how big of an emergency if I this would you say?

Jdub968
10/09/2017, 03:44 PM
So hard to tell with possible bacterial infections at bare minimum I would get so stress gaurd in the tank and watch him if it worsens you will need antibiotics you could mix Kanaplex with focus and some food and feed it to him in the tank. If it were my fish and he's eating and acting like a clown I would dose stress gaurd and observe

JustinM
10/09/2017, 04:27 PM
It almost looks like an injury. Since they were just bought and put together, it's possible they may have been nipping at one another.

As Jdub said, an antiseptic bath could help, to prevent an infection. I would not stress entirely yet but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a few meds on hand.

How are the size differences?

reilly2524
10/10/2017, 03:07 PM
It almost looks like an injury. Since they were just bought and put together, it's possible they may have been nipping at one another.

As Jdub said, an antiseptic bath could help, to prevent an infection. I would not stress entirely yet but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a few meds on hand.

How are the size differences?

Very close the one in question is maybe 4mm shorter. Yesterday the bigger one would headbutt the side of the one in question and the one in question would shutter it’s body at the bigger one (to show submission). I have not seen any of this today and they are both more active today.

JustinM
10/10/2017, 04:38 PM
That's probably what it is then. Establishing their dominance. I would keep an eye on it and if it worsens, probably treat an antibiotic. I doubt it will come to that though.

reilly2524
10/10/2017, 04:53 PM
That's probably what it is then. Establishing their dominance. I would keep an eye on it and if it worsens, probably treat an antibiotic. I doubt it will come to that though.

So the stress guard?

JustinM
10/10/2017, 07:10 PM
I do not know much about stress guard besides what JDub has mentioned. It definitely wouldn't hurt as it is an antiseptic. It is claimed to be reef safe but a quick google search of it, I found a link to seachems website. They say just to use less than the recommended dosage in a DT and stop if any corals are stressed. I can't remember if you had any corals or not.

reilly2524
10/10/2017, 07:18 PM
I do not know much about stress guard besides what JDub has mentioned. It definitely wouldn't hurt as it is an antiseptic. It is claimed to be reef safe but a quick google search of it, I found a link to seachems website. They say just to use less than the recommended dosage in a DT and stop if any corals are stressed. I can't remember if you had any corals or not.

I have 4 small frags, if there is something else you recommend I’m all ears, it has to be able to go in the DT though because I haven’t picked up a QT tank yet.

JustinM
10/10/2017, 07:23 PM
It is reef safe, possibly do a bit of reading first to see other's results.

Here is what I read from their website forums:

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/under-the-sea/781-stress-guard-reef-compatible