PDA

View Full Version : gyre 250 water flow

crankbait09
10/09/2017, 01:42 PM
I have a 130 gallon tank. In this tank, I have two gyre XF250's, one at each end of the 6ft long tank.

Currently I have the pumps set on the OGC setting at 30% power.
(if it matters)

I am finding that directly underneath each pump, there is little water movement, which allows fish waste to collect, and not be removed.

Without adding more powerheads to the tank, how can I get more water movement beneath these pumps? (20" below the pump to the sand bed)

anyone else run in to the same issue?

mikenh77
10/09/2017, 10:34 PM
I have a 130 gallon tank. In this tank, I have two gyre XF250's, one at each end of the 6ft long tank.

Currently I have the pumps set on the OGC setting at 30% power.
(if it matters)

I am finding that directly underneath each pump, there is little water movement, which allows fish waste to collect, and not be removed.

Without adding more powerheads to the tank, how can I get more water movement beneath these pumps? (20" below the pump to the sand bed)

anyone else run in to the same issue?I have one old version xf150 at one end and a mp40wqd at the other in a 6ft 125 gallon. Only thing, that helped me was upping the flow and having the gyre alternate with forwards and backwards flow every minute. I'm thinking since you have 2 xf250s at opposite ends you can sync one running in reverse the other to going forward and then switch the other way so it will change the direction of flow completely. Since they're helping each other push flow in the same circular motions it can eliminate those deadspots. Let me know if it helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crankbait09
10/10/2017, 07:17 AM
doing that would then have them in manual mode, correct? I wouldn't be able to utilize the automatic set up OGC?

mikenh77
10/10/2017, 08:02 AM
I'm not too familiar with the new controllers. It looks like OGC is what I'm talking about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tygger
10/11/2017, 10:04 PM
I only have one gyre, so I haven't had a chance to try the link option. I don't think you can use OGC in the link option, but you can use alternating gyre mode. Personally, I like random mode, so I would try using both on random. A couple other things you could try is upping the max power and/or lowering the pump a bit closer to sand and aiming the propellers up more towards the water surface.

tboneman
10/14/2017, 07:45 PM
I have 2 - 250 gyres on each end of a 6 foot 125 gallon tank. I run them in alternate gyre mode for 2 minutes each at 20 percent power. No detritus build up at either end with this setting. I have about 8 inches of clear space at each end of tank. I have sps in upper half of tank with lps and clams on bottom half. If I bump up power to 30 percent it blows the lps around a bit too much.

Ssteve
10/14/2017, 08:37 PM
30% sure seems low imo. I run two 250's on random mode at 70% on a 4 foot tank(120). No dead spots and as long as I keep soft corals in the sandbed the corals seem to love it. Without adding additional powerheads your only other option is to crank up the flow. Throw both on random also.

splix
10/16/2017, 07:21 AM
I ran 2x 250's at 30% on my 6' 125g on alternating gyre mode. They would also go in reverse at 10% when alternating. I never had any dead spots.

MiddletoM
10/16/2017, 09:02 AM
30% sure seems low imo. I run two 250's on random mode at 70% on a 4 foot tank(120). No dead spots and as long as I keep soft corals in the sandbed the corals seem to love it. Without adding additional powerheads your only other option is to crank up the flow. Throw both on random also.

I run my two 250's on alternating with a max of 30% in my 5x2x2.

70% would destroy my tank!

crankbait09
10/16/2017, 10:38 AM
I'm assuming the alternating gyre mode is not an automatic setting? That needs to be programmed manually, as well as "random"?

crankbait09
10/17/2017, 01:55 PM
ok, i have a couple questions about this alternating gyre mode.

After watching the coral vue videos, in order to switch to this mode, i will need to swap out the propellers/cages of one side of the power head, so that the blades are going in the opposite direction. right? so even if i have the OGC set up running, it is also considered as alternating at the same time, since the blades were swapped out. is that correct as well?

it mentions that you can place the powerhead anywhere in the tank till you find a happy home. A couple questions on that.
1. the further down the glass, away from the surface you get, the less surface agitation you get, which means gases cannot escape, right?
2. if I am disturbing the sand in the middle of the tank with the powerheads being close to the surface, won;t it get worse if I move them further down the glass? I could really cause a storm if I start moving them.

Right now the gyres are where I want them, visually. I am not opposed to moving them down a good 6-12" so that they would be in the middle of the tank, but still on the ends. before I start moving these around and causing hell in this tank, can anyone tell me some things that may or may not happen, so I can reconsider moving, if need be?