PDA

View Full Version : Coraline algae

02tts
10/10/2017, 06:00 PM
I canít for the life of me grow this stuff...what Iím I doing wrong...what kind of lights and how long should they be on for, because all other water parameters are in check.

Ca - 400
Mag - 1300
Ph - 8.1
Alk - 10dkh
Phosphates - not really measurable

Iíve even had the tank without any inhabitants for a year now - donít ask.

Here is a pic, as you can see no purple algae.

Obviously Iím doing something wrong.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171010/0e2ef4da7266c2a3ae47d1104740a9d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pslreefer
10/10/2017, 06:27 PM
Are you running leds?

02tts
10/10/2017, 06:27 PM
Are you running leds?

Yes

Pslreefer
10/10/2017, 06:30 PM
I find that tends to be a common problem with led lightning, slow to no growth of nice purple coralline.

02tts
10/10/2017, 06:30 PM
I find that tends to be a common problem with led lightning, slow to no growth of nice purple coralline.

I have zero, zilch, nada :(

Pslreefer
10/10/2017, 06:37 PM
Have you tried seeding your tank with some?

02tts
10/10/2017, 06:37 PM
Have you tried seeding your tank with some?

No that I have not tried yet.

hegeh
10/10/2017, 06:42 PM
No inhabitant?

My coralline algae is growing too fast and i hate it.. try to seed them.. take small amount of those algae and crush to powder.. and spread them in ur tank

bertoni
10/10/2017, 07:04 PM
You probably will have to seed some coralline into the system. A strain that is growing well under lights like yours is the best bet. Different strains of coralline require different intensities of lighting, in my experience.

orcafood
10/11/2017, 06:13 AM
I bet if you add some fish/ inverts to the tank coralline would appreciate it. I've never had much success growing sps/coralline without fish. Also I second seeding the tank with a really nice strain from a local. Someone must have some cool types near by you!

tmz
10/11/2017, 11:00 AM
I'd seed it as previously suggested.

ReefMaster48
10/11/2017, 11:12 AM

Interesting! I had T5s on my tank and it was growing well (ish). but recently upgraded everything and am using LEDs. We will see how it works.

But I would definitely recommend seeding the tank. Get a piece of good LR thats covered in coraline. Then scrape off a few spots with a razor blade and drop the shavings in the tank. Should give you a little bit to start. And of course throw the rest of the LR in.

Beautiful tank though! Very nice! :thumbsup:

Engine8ff
10/11/2017, 11:39 AM
From my understanding using dry rock in my tank I needed to "seed" for coralline algea. Once I put in a live rock covered with it I noticed spots on the overflows. Now 6 months later I am scrapping it of as its growing like weeds. If you want some just put a live rock that is covered with it and you will have all you want in no time. Good luck. BTW nice looking tank you have.

02tts
10/11/2017, 11:43 AM
Interesting! I had T5s on my tank and it was growing well (ish). but recently upgraded everything and am using LEDs. We will see how it works.

But I would definitely recommend seeding the tank. Get a piece of good LR thats covered in coraline. Then scrape off a few spots with a razor blade and drop the shavings in the tank. Should give you a little bit to start. And of course throw the rest of the LR in.

Beautiful tank though! Very nice! :thumbsup:

Thanks

02tts
10/11/2017, 11:44 AM
From my understanding using dry rock in my tank I needed to "seed" for coralline algea. Once I put in a live rock covered with it I noticed spots on the overflows. Now 6 months later I am scrapping it of as its growing like weeds. If you want some just put a live rock that is covered with it and you will have all you want in no time. Good luck. BTW nice looking tank you have.

Thank you.

Iíll see if I can find a decent local place around me to seed it from.

christopherjudd
10/11/2017, 11:50 AM
Same problem here but with t5s instead

orcafood
10/11/2017, 01:13 PM
I really don't think lighting type matters too much in the end. Coralline does grow pretty slow in high lighting though, the back wall of my old tank had no coralline one year before this picture. Compare that with the sps growth haha, they all started from frags. The sump on the other hand was loaded.

Your tank looks fabulous!

If anything, now you get to choose which types of coralline you want to introduce. Though as soon as you stock any snails or corals, you will have many types. At least you can give the type you want a nice foothold before that happens.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/orcafood/IMG_9766_1.jpg (http://s230.photobucket.com/user/orcafood/media/IMG_9766_1.jpg.html)

02tts
10/11/2017, 01:22 PM
I really don't think lighting type matters too much in the end. Coralline does grow pretty slow in high lighting though, the back wall of my old tank had no coralline one year before this picture. Compare that with the sps growth haha, they all started from frags. The sump on the other hand was loaded.

Your tank looks fabulous!

If anything, now you get to choose which types of coralline you want to introduce. Though as soon as you stock any snails or corals, you will have many types. At least you can give the type you want a nice foothold before that happens.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/orcafood/IMG_9766_1.jpg (http://s230.photobucket.com/user/orcafood/media/IMG_9766_1.jpg.html)

Thanks.

Although Iím wondering how much trouble itís going to be to keep it under control once it starts growing...hmmm.

orcafood
10/11/2017, 01:29 PM
There is no choice haha. Get some of that thick purple encrusting type and blender it for a second and dump er in the tank. If that is your favorite type of course. Some of the dark maroon types are very pretty as well.

02tts
10/11/2017, 04:19 PM
So no good places around me to get some live rock with coralline that I can use to seed. Went to 3 places and all their live rock was clean, no growth whatsoever. Also very poor and sick fish so not sure is even source it from them, last thing I need is another parasite issue.

Any ideas where I could source some online?

Anyone deal with www.ipsf.com?

bertoni
10/11/2017, 04:48 PM
I have ordered from ipsf.com. Their products are excellent, in my opinion, but I don't know what the cost might be for just the coralline booster. They are in Hawaii, so shipping can be expensive.

kenneth wolfe
10/12/2017, 12:38 AM
Keep the little white stars out, tank looks young,it will grow, I find useful is take a rock w , and use sand paper to sand the algae into tank, other option is when I seed new tank I scrape my back glass into filter sock and cut it open into tank that needs seeded,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

James404
10/12/2017, 05:33 AM
IME just start adding coral to the tank, it will eventually come in on a frag plug or piece of rock. I would never go out and purposely buy Coraline.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

02tts
10/12/2017, 05:50 AM
IME just start adding coral to the tank, it will eventually come in on a frag plug or piece of rock. I would never go out and purposely buy Coraline.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Fowlr tank.

orcafood
10/12/2017, 06:45 AM
Try to find a local forum near you then just ask. Anyone nearby with a decently balanced tank would probably give you any type you want for free.

Definetly break up what ever sample you get, more innoculation points for the tank.

02tts
10/12/2017, 07:12 AM
Try to find a local forum near you then just ask. Anyone nearby with a decently balanced tank would probably give you any type you want for free.

Definetly break up what ever sample you get, more innoculation points for the tank.

Didnít think about that, Iíll check local forums. Thx

hegeh
10/12/2017, 09:46 AM
All you need is a small piece. Smash it into powder and let them take over ur tank. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dangros
10/12/2017, 10:11 AM
I had this issue as well. I even introduced some rock from a local store and it faded over a month. I then seeded with a local reefer's snail and set it by the power head (near heavy flow). I also got a Calcium reactor so I dont know which of the 2 contributed the most. Now I have it everywhere. In the past it faded when Magnesium dropped. Now it does so when Alk drops due to overconsumption. It took me several months, close to a year.

Be patient and enjoy the clean look of your tank. As others have stated, introduce some from a local reefer.
And btw, your tank looks amazing.

02tts
10/12/2017, 01:10 PM
I had this issue as well. I even introduced some rock from a local store and it faded over a month. I then seeded with a local reefer's snail and set it by the power head (near heavy flow). I also got a Calcium reactor so I dont know which of the 2 contributed the most. Now I have it everywhere. In the past it faded when Magnesium dropped. Now it does so when Alk drops due to overconsumption. It took me several months, close to a year.

Be patient and enjoy the clean look of your tank. As others have stated, introduce some from a local reefer.

And btw, your tank looks amazing.

Thanks for help and comments.

Will try to find a local reefer, youíd be amazed how many stores Iíve called or have driven to and no one has any rock with growth on it.

rockhead51
10/13/2017, 03:35 AM
+1 on seed it. I have mostly purple, but some green, brick red, and dark red as well. I've never run anything but stock BioCube LEDs. That said, I even have it under overhangs which get NO direct light whatsoever.

Word to the wise, though. It is an all or nothing proposition. I tried to keep it off my back wall, but it was a fool's errand...

In the pics you can see my back wall when it just started (maybe 9, 10 months ago), then about 7 months later (now it is solid on the back wall). The pic with the frimandi shows the growth under an overhang.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/c7b7c5fde8dcccfc0f63c26709317e19.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/4ba2fa7c45b43b44ff304fb8ed9eeec6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/5c48d6715fa26c56ac92bcea138f292a.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

02tts
10/13/2017, 08:04 AM
+1 on seed it. I have mostly purple, but some green, brick red, and dark red as well. I've never run anything but stock BioCube LEDs. That said, I even have it under overhangs which get NO direct light whatsoever.

Word to the wise, though. It is an all or nothing proposition. I tried to keep it off my back wall, but it was a fool's errand...

In the pics you can see my back wall when it just started (maybe 9, 10 months ago), then about 7 months later (now it is solid on the back wall). The pic with the frimandi shows the growth under an overhang.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/c7b7c5fde8dcccfc0f63c26709317e19.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/4ba2fa7c45b43b44ff304fb8ed9eeec6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/5c48d6715fa26c56ac92bcea138f292a.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Hmmm...think Iím going to hold off for now. While Iíd love to see the growth on the Rocks im thinking maintaining it off everywhere else including the sump, overflow, etc might be more of a headache than itís worth.

orcafood
10/13/2017, 11:22 AM
Add one snail and it will start growing in your tank, even if you scrap the snail clean. You should use this opportunity to try and select a type because it will find a way in with whatever you eventually stock.

PAreefGUY
10/14/2017, 06:49 AM
I canít for the life of me grow this stuff...what Iím I doing wrong...what kind of lights and how long should they be on for, because all other water parameters are in check.

Ca - 400
Mag - 1300
Ph - 8.1
Alk - 10dkh
Phosphates - not really measurable

Iíve even had the tank without any inhabitants for a year now - donít ask.

Here is a pic, as you can see no purple algae.

Obviously Iím doing something wrong.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171010/0e2ef4da7266c2a3ae47d1104740a9d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPurple coraline produces by letting off spores.. If your rock did not have any on it you will need to 'seed' your tank. Scrape some off a buddies in a bag with a bit of water crush it to a pulp, the water will turn purple. Then just pour into your tank. Alot of live rock sold these days is the Life Rock, Man made but looks real.. no true reef organisms on it. hope this helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk