PDA

View Full Version : 150g fish only tank, any special care??

sensei
10/10/2017, 09:24 PM
I am quarentining several fish for this new fish only tank.
I have only tanks with coral and fish and I do the regular maintanance with water changes, in addition to dosing alk and cal and testing several other parameters

do fish only tanks require any special care?
I believe no water changes are needed?
tank will be bare botton with a skimmer and live rock.

I am not sure if a refugium would be needed for such tank or if I should put a GFO reactor with lots of GFO in sump to keep PO4 at cero and avoid algae problems??
Thanks for your comments

tjm9331
10/10/2017, 09:46 PM
Is this FO or FOWLR?

Either way I don't thinks it's a good idea to nix water changes completely. You can certainly lessen the frequency to probably once a month but I wouldn't cut it out all together.

To answer your original question though, FO or FOWLR tanks do not require any special care I feel they are the easiest salt water setups to deal with maintenance wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alton
10/11/2017, 06:32 AM
I would contact Huma Guy, he has expensive fish in FO tanks, I am not sure why you would dose in a tank that has nothing to use it?

sensei
10/11/2017, 06:52 AM
to my understanding FO or FOWLR is the same and it means it is a fish only tank, correct?

yes my tank will be fish only.
I have never done a fish only tank this is why I have all the questions listed above

thanks

benjammin03
10/11/2017, 07:33 AM
FO = Fish only
FOWLR = Fish only with live rock

Dosing is done for the benefit of corals. There is no need to dose if you don't have any. I would still keep water changes as part of your routine. A refugium could still be a beneficial. You could consider it as a more natural option to using GFO.

sensei
10/11/2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your answer,
dt will have fish and rocks so it is a FOWLR.

I guess FO also have live rock in sump but not in dt correct?

why would it be better to consider a more natural option like a fuge for nutrient reduction instead of GFO?

I ask becuase the goal will be only to avoid algae, so IF you put sufficient GFO you should be able to strip PO4 from water thus making it difficult for algae to grow?

thanks for your answer

humaguy
10/12/2017, 07:03 AM
Thanks for your answer,
dt will have fish and rocks so it is a FOWLR.

I guess FO also have live rock in sump but not in dt correct?

why would it be better to consider a more natural option like a fuge for nutrient reduction instead of GFO?

I ask becuase the goal will be only to avoid algae, so IF you put sufficient GFO you should be able to strip PO4 from water thus making it difficult for algae to grow?

thanks for your answer

FO- contain coral skeletons or coral inserts, no live rock, the fish are the true centerpeice.
FOWLR- live rock, regardless of location in tank of fuge.

To avoid algae, reduce the amount of time your lights are on, and keep water clean.

sensei
10/12/2017, 10:17 AM
thanks for your answer,
in FO since there is no live rock anywere, were is the biological filter?
ceramic media?

tjm9331
10/12/2017, 11:14 AM
That's correct, bioballs, ceramic media, the large ceramic blocks that folks put in their sump all can be used for bio-filter

And GFO only removes phosphates, the idea of a fuge or even just a sump with chaeto or an ATS is to help remove both phosphates and nitrates. both of which feed algae