PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate and nitrate control: what media do you use, how do you like it?

DJasak
10/13/2017, 08:32 AM
Hey guys!

Looking to see what everybody uses to control phosphates and nitrates in their systems. I've been using GFO and good ol' fashioned water changes. Looking for something that's a little more of a long term fix, less intensive/invasive. Would like to use a renewable media if there is one. Would like to get a collection of different ideas that people use and hear how they like it!

As always thanks for the replies! Can't say enough how much I have learned from joining this forum!

fryebaby9431
10/13/2017, 09:01 AM
I of course do my weekly water changes, switching off between 10% and 20% each week. On top of that I am running a hang on the back refugium with live rock, live sand and chaetomorpha macroalgae to control my nitrates and I love it and it all works great. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a medium bio load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
10/13/2017, 09:15 AM
Sufficient live rock (bacteria) and proper feeding levels (avoid overfeeding)..

No media is needed.. no replacement costs,etc... No "media" really works well (ok GFO does to a point) but there is not a proven/guaranteed media for nitrate removal.. And certainly no renewable media..

Keep in mind that basically for the first year your biological system in the tank is still evolving.. Most find that after the 8 month mark or so that bacteria levels have grown sufficiently that nutrient levels are much easier to maintain as the bacteria is doing its job..

A combination of many things though can make your life easier.. Skimmers, carbon dosing, water changes, algae,etc...

When someone asks "what media".. IMO they are heading down the wrong direction..

Small Heavens
10/13/2017, 09:32 AM
The bacteria that is allergic to air deep in your live rock cannot eat phosphates and nitrates at high speeds -unless- you add a carbon source (what some people dose vodka for). I got red sea nitrate & phosphate remover and it cost around 40€ for enough to last me three years actually, I definitely recommend it.

mcgyvr
10/13/2017, 10:03 AM
I got red sea nitrate & phosphate remover and it cost around 40€ for enough to last me three years actually, I definitely recommend it.

I just dose vinegar.. No point IMO in paying for the red sea nopox stuff... (which is just basically a mix of vinegar and vodka with some water thrown in)

Small Heavens
10/13/2017, 03:57 PM
It is just to mix different types of carbon as the bacteria uses different kinds at different stages. It is exactly as you said, except it has been mixed and balanced already by some lab-slave and now I don't have to think about it for years��