PDA

View Full Version : Rare sightings

SALTYwaterDOG
10/13/2017, 09:11 PM
What creature did you get and all most never see., i have many - Mandarin- serpent star- boxer crab- and others, witch one do almost never see ? :fish1:

Shankytank
10/13/2017, 09:15 PM
Six line wrasse, i guess ?

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

lionfish300
10/13/2017, 09:46 PM
My Marine Beta all I ever see (if look really hard ) maybe his tail

HidingReefer
10/14/2017, 12:11 AM
Firefish

moondoggy4
10/14/2017, 01:48 AM
Peppermint shrimp I dropped him in and I never saw him again until about 6 months later and I have not seen him since.

slay
10/14/2017, 01:49 AM
Twenty years ago or so I made the foolish mistake of buying a horseshoe crab.

It promptly buried itself in the sand and after a long enough period I basically forgot I had it. Maybe a year later I thought it had died, but it was the discarded remains of a molt. That said, I never did see it again. Tore the tank down about five years after I added the horseshoe crab and there was no trace of it. It probably starved to death after it consumed the life I was trying to foster in the sand bed. So I'm fairly certain it lived for at least a year and I never saw it aside from the 10-15 seconds it took, after I released it in the tank, to swim to the bottom and submerge itself the sand.

If you ever think it'd be cool or whatever to own a horseshoe crab, just know you'll most likely almost never see it (especially in a larger tank with lots of rock/caves) and that it will probably need supplemental feeding (after consuming the fauna of your sand bed), but since you never know where it is, logically, that makes them hard to feed (I'm not sure how quickly the get around, but perhaps you could bury morsels of food for them, I never considered that). From what I've read about them, they are pretty slow growing but large creatures, so if you do succeed with one, after a decade or so you'll end up with a giant specimen that probably needs a large dedicated specimen tank. I learned the hard way they are animals that are probably best left in the wild.

StAiden
10/14/2017, 06:14 AM
A swalese basslet. Maybe once a month for the last 4 years. Now I know where to look at night when all the lights are off.

But even more cryptic.....a long finned basslet I didn't even know I owned. Never bought it, don't know when it came in to the system and I've only ever seen it once.

This weekend I'm going fish finding to see if I can locate it again.

mikem101
10/14/2017, 06:55 AM
purple reef lobster I know where his cave is and if I look in the tank a certain way I can see his tail! other than that I haven't seen him out of his cave, occasionally I will see a molt in the tank that I think is him dead lol! always scares my wife until she realizes he's still alive lol!

tonysi
10/14/2017, 09:15 AM
Pair of coral crouchers in a large tank with lots of rock...

schnebbles
10/14/2017, 09:23 AM
I don't see my pom pom crabs too often. I think they are both still there, or do I have 3?

My red serpent star is not usually where I can see it, but sometimes I'll see legs. My sand sifting star is visible some, I wish I'd realized it'd probably starve before I got it. I hope not but I read they are hard to keep although some people have success. My fish stay pretty visible.