PDA

View Full Version : Sump Plumbing and Flow Question

term_paint
10/14/2017, 11:26 AM
Ok I am just starting the plumbing and have a quick question i hope. I have two 1 inch drain lines and a 3/4 inch return. I want to have 15X Flow which would be in a 75 gallon which would be a total of 1125gph. I have two power heads which would give me a total of 480gph. This means i have to get a return flow of 645gph. Will a 3/4 inch return line be able to handle 645gph. Here is a plumbing diagram i was thinking please let me know if it will work. Low flow for seahorses.

allendehl
10/14/2017, 09:54 PM
I'd say that's not an issue. My Sicce pump pushes over 900gph and the output is 3/4.
The flow does not depend on the diameter of the plumbing. If you choke the flow it I'll come out faster unless you really close it too much which is not the case for 3/4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
10/15/2017, 07:40 AM
The flow does not depend on the diameter of the plumbing. If you choke the flow it I'll come out faster unless you really close it too much which is not the case for 3/4.

um... no.. that is absolutely wrong..
"choking the flow" reduces flow

allendehl
10/15/2017, 07:43 AM
Hum...wouldn't it compensate by flowing faster? The pump is still pushing at the same rate.

mcgyvr
10/15/2017, 07:47 AM
yes you can use 3/4" to achieve around 645GPH..
Doesn't mean it will though.. head height/friction losses will reduce the total flow so plan accordingly..

And why are you doing some "header"?
Whats the point of that?

You should really stick to proven drain systems/plumbing..
Are you going to have an overflow box?
Are you planning on a herbie type system?

mcgyvr
10/15/2017, 07:49 AM
Hum...wouldn't it compensate by flowing faster? The pump is still pushing at the same rate.

No..

Your assignment is to get a 5G bucket and go outside to the garden hose..
Turn the hose on and let it fill the bucket.. Time how long that takes..

Now empty the bucket.. turn the hose on again and this time put your finger over the end of the hose to get a "jet like stream" coming out and fill the bucket with that.. time it..
Which is faster?

allendehl
10/15/2017, 07:53 AM
No..

Your assignment is to get a 5G bucket and go outside to the garden hose..
Turn the hose on and let it fill the bucket.. Time how long that takes..

Now empty the bucket.. turn the hose on again and this time put your finger over the end of the hose to get a "jet like stream" coming out and fill the bucket with that.. time it..
Which is faster?Ok..ok...I get it. Sorry OP, I stroke out in this one. :(
I'll get one right eventually :)

tazzy695
10/15/2017, 08:01 AM
Yes 3/4 will be larg enough for return but the 15x flow calculation is for flow through the sump/filter

I would go for more like 1200 gph rated pump eith head preasure it will drop u down to about 900gph which is good flow for sump on a 75g tank