PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a reef with no pods?

justletmein
10/18/2017, 03:35 AM
Not sure if I've got something special going on here or what. I got back into the hobby and started up a 75 gallon about 2-3 months ago. Started it with an existing used tank, seller had it nice and clean bright white sand and maybe 20 lbs of rock covered in coralline and no livestock and I transported the full tank with sand and water and all. Topped off with another 100lbs or so live rock from another reefer breaking down his tanks, rock was cheap but solid pieces pulled from his sump. Ordered 10 lbs of the GARF grunge (yeah I know I should know better, waste of money) and some eBay chaetomorpha. So here I am 2-3 months later, not a pod in sight. I've had dozens of tanks over the years and don't think I've ever seen this before. At night with a flashlight, during the day, refugium, nothing. Not a single copepod on the glass, not a single amphipod cruising around the rocks after dark, no isopods, nothing. Tank seems healthy, got a hair algae issue due to not testing my RO water and the kids flipped the bypass valve open but otherwise healthy. Just curious if anyone has ever seen a reef before with zero pods.

Oh, I have a "Texas gulf" tank stocked with local critters, same "used" rock was used in that tank and started at the same time. Loaded with copepods but no amphipods that I've seen.

alton
10/18/2017, 08:50 AM
Order some from LA or Algae Barn
https://www.algaebarn.com/product/combo-tisbee-pods-oceanmagik-phyto/

ca1ore
10/18/2017, 09:13 AM
Unfamiliar with GARF Grunge, though I always periodically get a bag or two of the crap that collects in the bottom of my LFS live rock bin to seed my refugium.