PDA

View Full Version : Low nutrition, high alk and high light = very pale corals?

Tripod1404
10/23/2017, 02:44 PM
Hey guys,

Over the course of last several months, I dropped the nitrate levels in my tank to 0.5-1 ppm and phosphate levels to 0- 0.005 ppm. My alk is at 8.5 dKH, Calcium is at 460ppm, Magnesium is at 1400ppm and Potassium is at 400ppm.

One outcome of this was the gradual "paleing" of Acros, Montis, stylos, Brains and leptastrea corals. With time, first the brains Brains and after the stylos and montis recovered and they are brightly colored. Newly growing tips of montis and stylos are pale, but as they grow the gain color. I dont know if it is related, but after the drop in nutrients, my purple hammer coral also developed a green hue around the tips of its tentacles and now it almost looks like a mix of purple and green hammer.

But for both Acros and leptastreas, the color is very pale on the sides that receive high light. They still show good polyp expansion and the polyps themselves are brightly colored (the coralites around the acro polyps as well), but the tissue in between the polyps are very pale. For leptastreas, growth occurring in high light parts of the coral is very pale with the exception of polyps which seems to be normal colored. I started dosing amino acids and vitamins and that seems to slightly improve the coloring.

So my question is; should I reduce my alk and continue with aa dosing or wait to see if those corals would recover like brains and montis? There seems to be some evidence suggesting high alk and low nutrients dont mix very well, and I am wondering if what I am seeing is that.

d2mini
10/23/2017, 03:24 PM
That's not high alk.
You are right on target for a low nutrient tank IMO. Could drop a little bit but I wouldn't go under 8.0 for fear of not having much leeway below that.

10 dkh would be considered on the high side.

I think you should leave all your parameters as is and feed the tank more. Get your nutrients up a bit, especially for your LPS.

thegrun
10/23/2017, 03:30 PM
+1, I run my alkalinity at 8.0, but 8.5 is fine for a low nutrient tank, but I would keep it under 9.0. Keeping a mixed reef I've gotten better coloration raising the nitrates to about 4.0 and the phosphates between 0.01 and 0.02.

Bronx19
10/23/2017, 05:12 PM
Thats extremely low PO4, if its accurate.

Tripod1404
10/23/2017, 06:09 PM
Thats extremely low PO4, if its accurate.

Its with Hanna phosphorous reader (0-200ppb) with 1 ppb resolution. It reads the it as phosphorous but can easily be converted to phosphate.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/23/2017, 06:28 PM
What's your objective in keeping nutrients that low?

Tripod1404
10/23/2017, 06:31 PM
What's your objective in keeping nutrients that low?

Ironically, improving coral coloration... :) It improved for some corals, but some got a lot paler.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/23/2017, 07:06 PM
Just seems counterproductive, like you're making more work for yourself - dropping nutrients and then dosing amino acids. Why not let the nutrients come up a hair and see what happens?

And I think you have the theory right, SPS are definitely more sensitive to alkalinity when nutrients are extremely low, IME. That said, I agree with the others that your alkalinity isn't terribly high, although it would be interesting to drop it half a point and see what happened (if you're willing to risk).

I think the bottom line is, things need to be kept in balance, in addition to staying in a specific range. If your nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon sources are really low, but your calcium and carbonate sources are high, the corals will be unhappy. Don't skew some things towards the bottom of the range and other things towards the top.

ca1ore
10/23/2017, 08:15 PM
I've had some pale-ing going on with a few of my SPS colonies, and removing GFO from the system appears to have helped (really didn't need it and should have removed it a while ago). Mainly in the frag tank where the lighting is somewhat stronger than in the display.

Timfish
10/24/2017, 11:16 AM
Check out this paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17301601#bb0310

Tripod1404
10/24/2017, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys, first thing I will remove GFO. I will also let alk go down just a bit.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/24/2017, 12:55 PM
If I had a dollar for every tank I've heard of or seen where GFO was causing corals to pale, I would have a whole lot of money. It's a super great tool IF you have a phosphate problem, but potentially a bad thing otherwise.