PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone calculated how much it costs per gallon with an RODI unit

PirateLove
10/23/2017, 06:20 PM
Right now my RODI unit is not working and I am buying 88 cent gallons from the store for a 42 gallon. Has anyone calculated how much it costs per gallon with an RODI unit without the price of buying the unit? Just taking into consideration how much you are charged by the water company per gallon, filters every 6 months, etc.

I feel like this should be on a school math test. If little jimmy purchases a RODI unit for $175 with X being the cost of water running through it and filters per year and billy is buying water by the gallon at 88 cents, how many gallons until the two break even.

Does anyone know how much a gallon of water from an rodi unit taking into consideration filters every year? I'm tempted to just keep buying the 88 cent gallons instead of fixing my RODI since I have a small tank.

lionfish300
10/23/2017, 08:21 PM
I don't know how much it cost for my RO/DI to run. But I wouldn't trust other with my water

thegrun
10/23/2017, 08:45 PM
It costs me about 23 cents a gallon, but our city water is high in TDS (430), so we go through resin fairly quickly. If your TDS is low and your water pressure is good your cost per gallon will be lower.

ca1ore
10/23/2017, 08:59 PM
I get about 200 gallons from a $12 DI cartridge. On a well so no incremental cost for raw water. I don't change the filters every year, maybe every 2-3. Membrane maybe every 5. So somewhere in the 20 cents/gallon range.

2_zoa
10/23/2017, 09:04 PM
Seems to me that only you can answer if it’s more or less cost wise to run an RO/DI unit.
Take your cost per gallon and weigh that against how long your filters last you.

As thegrun hints towards. Everyone’s mileage will vary based on their water supply and the amount of water they make for their system and or systems. Or whatever else they might use the RO or RO/DI water for around their house. Drinking, cooking, ice, hydroponics, brewing beer, freshwater tanks....

I got years out of the filters I bought my RO/DI unit with. I finally replaced them as I was getting 2ppm at start up. I have very good supply water though. I even bought calibration solution to make sure the TDS meter didn’t drift and was giving me false readings.

Not sure what’s broken on your water unit. But I’d bet it’s cheaper to run then buying water. Having your own water filter running is worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

10Seconds
10/23/2017, 09:32 PM
And regardless of a few cent savings is the time and effort savings of not going to the store to buy water for the tank.

Gorgok
10/23/2017, 10:31 PM
And regardless of a few cent savings is the time and effort savings of not going to the store to buy water for the tank.

And fuel of the trip.

Dmorty217
10/24/2017, 08:19 AM
The initial cost will be high for purchasing the unit, but after that the savings compared to store bought RO will be significant.

jayball
10/24/2017, 12:04 PM
time and effort savings of not going to the store to buy water for the tank.

And fuel of the trip.

The initial cost will be high for purchasing the unit, but after that the savings compared to store bought RO will be significant.

I am just going to bring all three of these together. +1, +1, +1

And add the ability to make your own water in case of emergency.

sde1500
10/24/2017, 12:17 PM
Free 99, well water FTW.

outy
10/24/2017, 01:44 PM
my water is from 17ppm to 32ppm so I get years out of parts.

Only water condition determines ones cost