PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

Jekerry
10/24/2017, 12:48 PM
I am very new to this. We have a hammer, a frog, a starburst, a gorgonian, and one I forgot to get the name of. They all seem happy so far. When I feed the fish, I’ve noticed they sometimes snag some food. I have not yet tried to feed them specifically with a blaster or anything. When I do, is important that each polyp gets some food? Or is really just one creature. Also, how often should I feed them rather then just letting them grab what they can?

I’ve attached a picture of the one I don’t know the name of in case anyone can tell me.

Jekerry
10/24/2017, 12:49 PM
Sorry, here is the picture.

Jekerry
10/24/2017, 12:55 PM
Some reason my picture didn’t work again. Trying again

Lsufan
10/24/2017, 07:02 PM
They don’t have to be fed as long as u have fish in the system & u are feeding the tank. If u only have one or two fish & have very low nutrients then I would feed them a few times a week. If u have a bunch of fish & higher nutrients then feeding the corals will only add to the already high nutrients.

So if u are already have high nutrients I wouldn’t feed them. If low nutrients then I would spot feed & they will benefit from it. I have a mixed reef with a bunch of lps & sps. So I keep low nutrients & I feed the lps.

Every head of the coral is like a different coral altogether. So for them all to eat u would have to feed each head. When they only have a few heads then it is pretty easy. I have a scan that has around 60 heads & that gets harder to feed each head with a meaty food like mysis. That is when a dry food like reef chili or reefroids comes in handy.

Jekerry
10/24/2017, 07:18 PM
Thank you LSU Fan!