PDA

View Full Version : Changing water over to rodi water

LeJeune981
10/26/2017, 07:12 PM
I finally got my rodi system all rebuilt and running..
I've got a 90 display and 49 fuge.. and about 225 to 250 lbs of live rock between them..

How do I safely switch out all the tap Sw with rodi sw?
Is it safe to do like a 40 to 50 gallon water change every week for a few weeks? That's my plan for now
Thanks in advance for your advice :-)

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Rover88
10/26/2017, 07:16 PM
I finally got my rodi system all rebuilt and running..
I've got a 90 display and 49 fuge.. and about 225 to 250 lbs of live rock between them..

How do I safely switch out all the tap Sw with rodi sw?
Is it safe to do like a 40 to 50 gallon water change every week for a few weeks? That's my plan for now
Thanks in advance for your advice :-)

Its perfectly safe to do it that way.

Just remember, that if your TDS is (hypothetically) 100, and you do a half change, its 50... And next time 25, then 12.5, then etc, etc, etc. Because of dilution you'll never reach 'zero' but its a heck of a lot better then being where you started!

If your existing tank is already running without issues, just start doing your normal water changes with RODI water, and you'll be good. :)

LeJeune981
10/26/2017, 09:15 PM
It's running good... not getting any coraline growth like I would like and expect.. but for now I'm blaming that on the tap water (tds 240+) And God knows what else.. I won't drink it.. I don't like city water..

Other than that..all is well..
I am getting a bit of green coraline on the front glass..and some rocks..
(It's not gha.. trust me.. I've delt with every problematic algea since the start.. plagues I tell ya!!!)
That started this week since I started topping off with rodi
Bout a gallon a day
2 gallons a day soon with the furnace in the equation

homer1475
10/27/2017, 04:30 AM
And God knows what else.. I won't drink it.. I don't like city water..

Comments like this always amuse me. Most people don't realize that 99% of bottled water is bottled from a municipal source. In another word, its city water in a bottle that your paying for when it comes free out of your tap. lmao Seriously, next time you grab a bottle of water, read the label and where it was bottled. It will probably surprise you.

Anyways back to the topic at hand, if your tank is running fine with no algae issues, I would just start topping off and doing my regular water changes with the RO/DI and not sweat it.

mcgyvr
10/27/2017, 05:05 AM
Comments like this always amuse me. Most people don't realize that 99% of bottled water is bottled from a municipal source. In another word, its city water in a bottle that your paying for when it comes free out of your tap. lmao Seriously, next time you grab a bottle of water, read the label and where it was bottled. It will probably surprise you.

You make it seem like its just taken straight from the tap and put into a bottle and no filtration of any kind is done on it.. There is usually a RO or other process done to it.. Then many times minerals (baking soda,etc...) added back so it has a "taste"..

I won't drink my city water either straight from the tap on a regular basis..
And the city routinely puts out a letter stating that there are issues with it.. (haloacetic acid,etc.. above accepted standards).. and many other cities are like that too..
https://mgtvwncn.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/sgwasa-wilton-letter.pdf

homer1475
10/27/2017, 05:16 AM
The point is, it's still tap water. And yes some is just bottled tap, no filtration. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I wouldn't drink your water either. Obviously yours is tainted. lol

Makes me glad I live in the mountains and our water comes from very deep within those mountains and is some of the cleanest water in the country. TDS out of my tap is 15, and people here say the same thing "I won't drink the water out of the tap" as they pay for a bottle of tap water.

bif24701
10/27/2017, 05:52 AM
You make it seem like its just taken straight from the tap and put into a bottle and no filtration of any kind is done on it.. There is usually a RO or other process done to it.. Then many times minerals (baking soda,etc...) added back so it has a "taste"..

And the city routinely puts out a letter stating that there are issues with it.. (haloacetic acid,etc.. above accepted standards).. and many other cities are like that too..

Not true, many if not most, even popular bottled water is direct from the tap. Other if they have any filtration is no more than a carbon filter. True RO water bottles would is hard to find. We used to buy it from a guy in a minimall. Has a little shop with an very nice commercial RO and ozone filtration. TDS was a true 000, verified. He would cation new buyers that it would taste a little different and contained no fluoride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeJeune981
10/27/2017, 06:13 AM

Anyways back to the topic at hand, if your tank is running fine with no algae issues, I would just start topping off and doing my regular water changes with the RO/DI and not sweat it.I don't drink bottled water either.. I know that some is just tap water.. some is actually filtered..

I have read labels

I grew up on well water..and still drink well water to this day (when available)
Or I get the big jugs of water that are RO water plus minerals

I'm not a fan of pool water.. I mean city water...when I take a shower.. my house smells like a swimming pool for an hour or so

LeJeune981
10/27/2017, 06:14 AM
And yeah.. I deff have algea issues... constant loosing battle since day one..

mcgyvr
10/27/2017, 06:35 AM
Not true, many if not most, even popular bottled water is direct from the tap. Other if they have any filtration is no more than a carbon filter. True RO water bottles would is hard to find. We used to buy it from a guy in a minimall. Has a little shop with an very nice commercial RO and ozone filtration. TDS was a true 000, verified. He would cation new buyers that it would taste a little different and contained no fluoride.

Every brand I have purchased states something to the effect of "Processed by Advanced Filtration, Ozone and Reverse Osmosis Technologies" including the bottle I'm drinking right now..
And these are easily/readily available.. (Kirkland from Costco is what I have in my hand now)
The TDS does not measure 0 but that does NOT mean that its straight from the tap as like I said they typically add sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride back to add that mineral taste that consumers are used to.. That adds TDS...

mcgyvr
10/27/2017, 06:45 AM
The point is, it's still tap water. And yes some is just bottled tap, no filtration. Look it up if you don't believe me.
:fun5:
So your point is that water taken from the tap and processed via RO/DI is still tap water?
So we spend money on RO/DI systems but should just state we use tap water...
Thats not a point.. Thats silly..
But wouldn't tap water really be rain water or lake/stream/spring water? The water doesn't initially come from the tap.. It comes from rain/lakes/streams,etc...
Yet the tap is the point where you draw the source line..

You make no sense..

Yes there are some brands of bottled water that may come directly from a spring (many brands sold in Florida that bif may be seeing)... or that receive little to no filtration.. But to say that 99% is and to assimilate all bottled water as just tap water is silly..
100% of the bottled water I easily/readily purchase states at least some form of RO filtration process and the TDS (because I measure that too) is typically 7-15ppm due to the added minerals of sodium bicarbonate and more.

mcgyvr
10/27/2017, 06:49 AM
To answer the OP's question..
If there are no inhabitants in the tank then you can do a 100% water change if you want.. (and even if there are with some stipulations)
That will not effect the "cycled state" of the tank as the vast majority of beneficial bacteria is attached to the surfaces in the tank and very little is free floating in the water..
So change as much water as you want/can..
There are no guarantees though with anything less than changing 100% of the water that you are removing all of the "tap water" or "bottled water" as homer calls it..:p
But any bit of a water change is certainly diluting what is currently in the tank..

The solution to pollution is dilution so "dilute" as much as you want with what should be better RO/DI source water..

Your initially stated plan is just fine.. The quicker you can dilute what there the better off you should be..

nereefpat
10/27/2017, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't worry about changing out the "tap" for "RODI." Your tank water has more TDS than you can measure, after the addition of salt, etc.

Just start using RODI for top-off, and continue with 10-20% weekly/biweekly water changes.

JTL
10/27/2017, 07:39 AM

Our city processes the water thru an RO and then adds back chloramines to kill the bacteria in the old deliver pipes. My tds readings vary but are always over 25, sometimes in the 40's.

LeJeune981
10/27/2017, 08:06 AM
To answer the OP's question..
If there are no inhabitants in the tank then you can do a 100% water change if you want.. (and even if there are with some stipulations)
That will not effect the "cycled state" of the tank as the vast majority of beneficial bacteria is attached to the surfaces in the tank and very little is free floating in the water..
So change as much water as you want/can..
There are no guarantees though with anything less than changing 100% of the water that you are removing all of the "tap water" or "bottled water" as homer calls it..:p
But any bit of a water change is certainly diluting what is currently in the tank..

The solution to pollution is dilution so "dilute" as much as you want with what should be better RO/DI source water..

Your initially stated plan is just fine.. The quicker you can dilute what there the better off you should be..Thanks bud.
I have quite a few inhabitants..so 100 percent is not an option.... well it is still. But I don't have the will power to tear the whole system down....again... and my back isn't up to moving around 200 plus pounds of rock. Again lol..

So I'll just stick to my plan with the fuge

LeJeune981
10/27/2017, 08:09 AM
Btw.. what is ozone filtration. I've heard the term in the hobby. But no idea what it is

mcgyvr
10/27/2017, 08:10 AM
Our city processes the water thru an RO and then adds back chloramines to kill the bacteria in the old deliver pipes. My tds readings vary but are always over 25, sometimes in the 40's.

Mine are usually in the 60-70ppm range from the tap and has a slight chlorine smell to it...
Which in general like yours is considered "good/lowish".. But as you can see from that letter its also elevated and a potential long term cancer risk..

TDS alone is never the only factor in water quality..
Hence why we can also say that just because your TDS is only 2 means that it won't cause problems.. We don't know what the 2 is,etc.. hence why we always recommend changing membranes after output from DI is greater than zero..

Tripod1404
10/27/2017, 11:04 AM
I only drink the water from my freshwater aquarium. I store the water from the water changes and all my family drinks that. If it is good enough for fish to live in it, it is safe.

mcgyvr
10/27/2017, 11:44 AM
Btw.. what is ozone filtration. I've heard the term in the hobby. But no idea what it is

https://www.sswm.info/content/ozonation
Water filtration...

Reef specific use of ozone..
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

hkgar
10/27/2017, 01:37 PM
Where the water comes from has very little to do with how good it is for you. There is a tourist island here in Michigan and I notice one time that the sprigs of water bubbling up from below had signs on them stating "Do not drin". I ask about it and the water contained a poison or some other substance that was not good for you.

bif24701
10/27/2017, 07:01 PM
Every brand I have purchased states something to the effect of "Processed by Advanced Filtration, Ozone and Reverse Osmosis Technologies" including the bottle I'm drinking right now..

And these are easily/readily available.. (Kirkland from Costco is what I have in my hand now)

The TDS does not measure 0 but that does NOT mean that its straight from the tap as like I said they typically add sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride back to add that mineral taste that consumers are used to.. That adds TDS...

They can say that. Doesn't mean they filter in house. That's the filtration method of the municipality or utility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breadman03
10/27/2017, 07:08 PM

Anyways back to the topic at hand, if your tank is running fine with no algae issues, I would just start topping off and doing my regular water changes with the RO/DI and not sweat it.

Lots of it comes from within 15 minutes of my house, with Starbucks "Ethos" water coming from the spring next to my town. Thanks for keeping out taxes low :)