PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii shutdown

albano
10/28/2017, 05:02 PM
Just read that
All valid collection licenses have been suspended... There is no legal collection effective immediately.

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db_352775/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=FlhtwFVs

Ron Reefman
10/29/2017, 04:57 AM
Given that the commercial licenses allowed unlimited collecting, I'm in total agreement with the ban.

In time, maybe they can allow some new 'limited' collection to happen.

d-man
10/29/2017, 07:18 AM
It shouldn't be a black or white issue. They are so many grey areas that need to be cleared. The ban is unnecessary in its entirety. Restrictions should be put on but definitely not an all out ban

flsalty
10/29/2017, 02:42 PM
Opponents including Earthjustice lawyer Summer Kupau-Odo have been challenging the state's permit system, claiming that the impact to Hawaii's reefs has never been properly studied.
"DLNR has a duty to protect these resources for us today and for future generations," Kupau-Odo said. "All of the existing permits are illegal, collection under them is illegal and no one should be out collecting for commercial profits. No one should be out taking our reef resources for sale elsewhere to make a private profit."

Her motives sound fishy (pardon the pun).

hogfanreefer
10/29/2017, 05:28 PM
This is one of the most examined fisheries in the world and the DNR has evaluated the effects of collections for the aquarium trade and have found the current practices sustainable.

The number of permits are limited...they must apply and be approved. Individual collectors quantities of fish collected aren't limited but these are not large operations. Collection is by hand and one or two divers are only going to be able to collect a fraction of what a few sustenance fishermen will take. This isn't about the reef. This is about ideology and anthropomorphism.

I looked at my pictures from a recent dive trip to Hawaii. There were literally hundreds of pictures and not a single one (save a couple of macro shots) failed to contain multiple Yellow Tangs (the poster boy fish for this movement).

alton
10/30/2017, 05:10 AM
What I am reading is this law does not stop collecting? The collectors will have to use larger sized mesh nets. Which sounds like in lieu of the 2 to 2.5" yellow tangs, we will now see 3 to 5" yellow tangs. We will also see more adult Chevrons, versus juveniles. Smaller fishes ship better than large, so the losses will go up. Flame Wrasse price's will go through the roof, so collectors will come up with new ways to catch them that will probably not be as safe as nets so the losses will go up on those too? These people wanting and getting the ban do not want regulation they want the collection to stop. If they wanted regulation they would have worked with the industry, came up with a plan, and implemented it in the near future giving collectors time to comply.