PDA

View Full Version : Is My Tank Cycled?

Lakejoery
10/29/2017, 12:20 PM
So I just recently set up my 40g Nuvo, I set it up with cured live rock from the LFS, live sand and I bought my first bit of water from the store too. I have been using seed by Aqua vitro. So I set it up last Sunday, and on day 3, I had an Ammonia of 2ppm, but I had no Nitrates or Nitrites. The next day I still had an Ammonia of 2ppm but still no Nitrates or Nitrites. Then on day 6 I tested it again, and I had 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites but 1ppm of Nitrates. Then Yesterday, (Day 7) I tested it and I had 0 Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. I yet again tested it today, (Day 8) and I again had 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates. Could it have cycled? or is something else happening?

Lakejoery
10/29/2017, 12:25 PM
By the Way, I keep my temp at 80F my Ph is around 8.1 and my alk is 9.0 dkH

Reincarnate
10/29/2017, 12:36 PM
It might be cycled, but nothing good in this hobby happens fast... If your in it for the long haul give it a month, maybe a month and a half before you start adding a lot of livestock. During this time though, the only critical parameter is really SG/Salinty. Keep that stable and let the pieces kind of fall into place. GL.

Dmorty217
10/29/2017, 02:07 PM
It might be cycled, but nothing good in this hobby happens fast... If your in it for the long haul give it a month, maybe a month and a half before you start adding a lot of livestock. During this time though, the only critical parameter is really SG/Salinty. Keep that stable and let the pieces kind of fall into place. GL.

+1 keep on top of evaporation. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby are no truer words.

allendehl
10/30/2017, 06:47 AM
It is cycled IMO. The only thing I find odd is that you never saw signs of nitrites, it could be that your bacteria population is good and processed it too quickly in the days you didn't read.
You could try and add some ammonia again to "test it". Read about amount and type, there is some info around and others may be able to be more specific.
Anyways, if you are planing in QTing your fish for at least 2/3 weeks, that should be more than enough time for your tank to build even a bigger bacteria population and you won't be sitting there watching water boil.