PDA

View Full Version : Jebao Crossflow. 3 months of run time...dead

Horace
10/30/2017, 04:10 PM
Title says it all. Unfortunately I had to store the pump for a year NIB while I moved so it's out of warranty. Not happy....

Now trying to decide what to replace it with. I'm not hearing great things about longevity of the Vortechs either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vinny Kreyling
10/30/2017, 04:48 PM
Can't beat Tunze, look in the used Equipment forum.

scuzy
10/30/2017, 05:31 PM
Dude you bought a jebao my vortech been going for 6 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lsufan
10/30/2017, 06:08 PM
It’s really hit or miss with any jabeo, but if u have had it that long it may have been the first ones they released. I had a first generation that quit after 4 months but I had a 6 month warranty. When I got the second one it was a gen 2 & i have had it for 8 months & it is still going. I guess my point is the first generation of anything jabeo seems to be the least reliable.

Ron Reefman
10/31/2017, 05:09 AM
+1 for what Lsufan said.

This is an old problem. Mostly been curred, however IMHO both gyre style pumps are so low torque that they do jam up easily.

I had real issues with both the Maxspect and the Jebao gyre style pumps. I was lucky and the sellers stood behind the product, I got newer replacements and the 1 Maxspect and 2 Jebao pumps have been running fine for nearly a year now.

Dmorty217
10/31/2017, 05:38 AM
Dude you bought a jebao my vortech been going for 6 years

+1 you get what you pay for plain and simple. With as much money as we have invested in our tanks, I can't believe anyone would buy anything with Jebao attached to it. I had several of their pumps that I used in QT tanks, and all of them quit working within 1 year. Not like they were used anywhere close to a year straight either.

jda
10/31/2017, 08:53 AM
Vortech does not have Tunze reliability, but they are pretty darned good. My decade-old Tunze pumps are still running like new and while I don't think that many Vortechs will last that long, 5-6 years happens and is very respectable. There is a lot of user-error issues with Vortech which while there is no law against EcoTech figuring out how to make them user-proof, they do kinda get a bad rap for not being aligned and shimmed correctly.

Used Tunze is always my first recommendation to folks. If these cannot be found, or are still too much, then look at EcoDrift from AquaMedic - they are probably not decade pumps, but they are better than cheap patent-stealing lying Chinese stuff are not priced too much higher. They have US warranty and support.

Horace
10/31/2017, 10:54 AM
I just dont know if I want a gargantuan pump in my tank (Tunze). They are great, but that was one thing I really liked about the Crossflow. It was relatively unobtrusive and created a butt load of laminar flow. I had two of them alternating which was on...basically each running for about 5-6 mins. it created a nice laminar/gyre in the tank.....I really want to keep that going if I can...

scuzy
10/31/2017, 11:26 AM
Then go with the Maxspect Gyre at least those are somewhat reliable I had a pair of 250s working for over a year until I wanted too go stream 3

d0ughb0y
10/31/2017, 11:43 AM
since you say you have two, did you try to isolate if the problem is with power supply, controller or pump?

I got a cp40 from ebay and never had any problem. I clean it thoroughly every 2-3 months. Did you try to disassemble and clean the pump?

If you are able to isolate it to the pump, you can check if it was assembled properly. There is a notch on the cage that should match the notch on the disc that holds the paddle.

mcgyvr
10/31/2017, 12:13 PM
My Jebao CP40 crapped out quickly.. (first generation..bleeding edge.. = no for jebao)..

I've got PP series powerheads going on 3+ years now I think without little to no maintenance on them.. Yet the WP I had (first gen) crapped out in under a year..

So as stated.. Avoid First Gen jebao stuff.. after that its usually just fine and surely worth the price..

d0ughb0y
10/31/2017, 12:49 PM
so for the cp40, its hard to tell the generation, as they did not change the model name/number. I did not buy it right when it came out, maybe around a year later.

Horace
10/31/2017, 01:00 PM
since you say you have two, did you try to isolate if the problem is with power supply, controller or pump?

I got a cp40 from ebay and never had any problem. I clean it thoroughly every 2-3 months. Did you try to disassemble and clean the pump?

If you are able to isolate it to the pump, you can check if it was assembled properly. There is a notch on the cage that should match the notch on the disc that holds the paddle.

Yes, i unhooked the fins and hooked the motor up to the other controller and it just pulsed slowly back/forth (would not spin). The motor appears dead.

d0ughb0y
10/31/2017, 01:04 PM
did you compare with your other pump that if you also remove the fins/paddles and just hook up the motor only that it spins?
I have not tried this myself, but I think the controller has sensor so it does not spin when run dry. not sure if immediately or after a few seconds.

z3speed4me
11/01/2017, 12:34 PM
I have a 3rd gen CP40 for about 5 months now (I have been taking it out every 6 weeks for an overnight vinegar bath), I use it on W1 mode. So far so good, fingers crossed.

Horace
12/01/2017, 11:02 AM
Second one....dead. avg is like 4 months. Ahat a POS

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cheapreef
12/01/2017, 11:13 AM
Second one....dead. avg is like 4 months. Ahat a POS

How often did you clean it or take it apart to clean?
I'm running the latest 3rd gen CP40 and really like it, if it goes south I'll grab the Glamorca to replace it for the small price difference.

ktownhero
12/01/2017, 12:27 PM
Vortech does not have Tunze reliability, but they are pretty darned good. My decade-old Tunze pumps are still running like new and while I don't think that many Vortechs will last that long, 5-6 years happens and is very respectable. There is a lot of user-error issues with Vortech which while there is no law against EcoTech figuring out how to make them user-proof, they do kinda get a bad rap for not being aligned and shimmed correctly.

Used Tunze is always my first recommendation to folks. If these cannot be found, or are still too much, then look at EcoDrift from AquaMedic - they are probably not decade pumps, but they are better than cheap patent-stealing lying Chinese stuff are not priced too much higher. They have US warranty and support.

The Vortechs will last, but they will require maintenance/part replacement. The Tunze pumps will run proverbially forever with no maintenance. It's kind of like buying a sports car vs buying a tried-and-true sedan...

jda
12/01/2017, 03:52 PM
..except it is nothing like that unless the tried-and-true sedan happened to perform as well as any sports car.

greengeco82
12/01/2017, 06:07 PM
I have a maxspect and a crossflow. The maxspect's cord is cracking. My gyre is flawless. I did have a jebao product fail on me. It was the power supply. I found a laptop power supply in the garage that fit and worked great. My guess is that the power supply is the problem.

To all of the "get what you pay for" people. I've watched them buy more wet side vortecs and overpriced garbage. When it fails they wont say a thing. But, when they first buy it... they talk. I could buy 4 crossflows for the price of a maxspect.

shifty51008
12/01/2017, 10:00 PM
I have a maxspect and a crossflow. The maxspect's cord is cracking. My gyre is flawless. I did have a jebao product fail on me. It was the power supply. I found a laptop power supply in the garage that fit and worked great. My guess is that the power supply is the problem.

To all of the "get what you pay for" people. I've watched them buy more wet side vortecs and overpriced garbage. When it fails they wont say a thing. But, when they first buy it... they talk. I could buy 4 crossflows for the price of a maxspect.

that may be so but how many times in 12+ years will you have to replace them, I am willing to bet enough times to cost more than the tunze's I have that are still running no issues and only had to replace the prop's 1 time in those years.

I have tried jebao and have a box of 6 of them that have died on me in less than 6 months and that was even used in FW tanks, not the harshness of SW.

Horace
12/02/2017, 07:14 AM
The only positive is they are sending new motors for $55ea rathwr than spending over 100 on ea. I wont be doing this again....i am giving the benefit of the doubt that this was a gen 1 issue. I got some of the first ones made