PDA

View Full Version : Self-cleaning tank

virtualserge
10/31/2017, 05:12 AM
Greetings! I am thinking of a breeding tank that would be a bare bottom with no need to syphon out fish waste. Motivated by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvvQ3Dw6LM I wonder if the same can be done without a pump so that in case any fry gets into water outlet it will not get chopped but rather travel down to a sump and stay in a filter sock. The way I see it:
The tank will have some sort of standpipe (1) and an overflow weir (2). A second weir (3) will be added and raised a bit from the bottom to create sucking action. A spray bar (4) at the bottom will sweep the waste towards the overflow. And another spray bar (5) will create a circular motion to eliminate possible dead zones at the top.

Here comes a question. While (5) can be connected to a return from the sump, the (4) obviously can not (to prevent tank drainage in case of power outage). What if I place one more sump above the tank and water will overflow from it through (4). Will the water weight create enough flow to move fish poop along the bottom? Any thoughts?