PDA

View Full Version : Doser / reactor

Wakeavenger
11/01/2017, 09:48 PM
What’s up reefers. I’m about 7 months in with my Red Sea reefer 525 XL. I have some questions to improve my tank. I am considering adding a doser since I am beginning to add corals. I am having a difficult time choosing between the GHL doser and the apex dos. I am currently running the the new apex controller on my tank and plan to add the trident when it comes out. However I am leaning towards the ghl since it has 4 heads compared to 2 on the dos. Not sure how many things people dose on average.

I am planning to dose two part calcium and bicarbonate. Was considering dosing nopox but my lfs is advising I run a reactor to co trip my phosphates. Is this the best option? One last question I have seen people make a refugium from there top off on the Red Sea. But my lfs store said the top off is too small of a refugium and am better off just adding reactor. Please advise. Thanks reefers

mcgyvr
11/02/2017, 04:59 AM
Sounds like your LFS just wants to sell a reactor...
nopox helps to reduce both nitrates and phosphates and personally I find liquid carbon dosing to be faster acting and easier (less maintenance,etc..) than solid form carbon dosing (biopellets in a reactor)..
Or maybe you are talking about a chaeto reactor?.. again.. liquid carbon dosing is just easier..

FYI... you can just use normal store bought vinegar (white) vs paying for nopox.. Google vinegar dosing chart for how much..

As to which doser.. Thats just something you need to decide.. I'd expect you could get 2 of the dos if you needed too.. I personally don't like to have ALL my equipment run by one brain as should that fail.. it all fails..
I dose 3 things.. cal/alk/vinegar

One more thing.. Just because you have corals doesn't mean you need to dose..
You dose when your current consumption of alk/mag/cal is not replenished by your current water change schedule. plain and simple.. IF that happens then you either increase your water changes or start dosing.. But you can have quite a few corals before you need to dose depending on which corals,etc...