PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for interesting inhabitants this time around

alligator
11/03/2017, 06:37 PM
I've had a number of reef tanks in my life, and I've kept a number of different creatures successfully. Over the years, I've had an octo (bimac), a brittle star, an urchin, shrimp, hermits, corals, and numerous types of fish.

I'm looking for ideas for this tank. It's a 29 gallon JBJ with LEDs (sufficient for corals). It has dry rock that was used in the past for an established tank.

I have never had a seahorse, but the 3x daily feeding might be challenging if we go on vacation.

I'm open to suggestions for any type of inhabitant, but I am really hoping this tank is interesting to viewers, either with a unique species or with interesting fish.

Any ideas?

Subsea
11/03/2017, 07:06 PM
I've had a number of reef tanks in my life, and I've kept a number of different creatures successfully. Over the years, I've had an octo (bimac), a brittle star, an urchin, shrimp, hermits, corals, and numerous types of fish.

I'm looking for ideas for this tank. It's a 29 gallon JBJ with LEDs (sufficient for corals). It has dry rock that was used in the past for an established tank.

I have never had a seahorse, but the 3x daily feeding might be challenging if we go on vacation.

I'm open to suggestions for any type of inhabitant, but I am really hoping this tank is interesting to viewers, either with a unique species or with interesting fish.

Any ideas?

Do a mixed garden of Gulf live rock with sponges, bryazones, feather dusters, Christmas tree fans. Get a few uncured nano rocks and see what pops up. Skimmerless is a necessity.

Haley
11/03/2017, 07:42 PM
A seahorse tank could be really neat! Mandarins, pipefish, and certain nudibranchs would make good and intersting tankmates. I would pair with nps corals unable to sting like gorgonians and sea fans. Maybe some blue sponge and fanworms? You could also add some neat macro algae like grape kelp, mermaids fan, and maidens hair.
Best resource to check seahorse tankmates is http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtml

Frogmanx82
11/03/2017, 08:54 PM
Fighting conch is interesting as opposed to the usual snails.

top shelf
11/04/2017, 08:57 AM
Frogfish tank could be cool.

Cliving1
11/04/2017, 11:17 AM
Dwarf lion would be fun. I also like the opposite end of the spectrum, a peaceful pipefish tank.

alligator
11/04/2017, 06:39 PM
Those are all great ideas, thanks.