PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

Bruce51
11/04/2017, 03:13 PM
A little back ground first,

40b with a 40b diy sump. Finished cycling beginning of September and tank is going threw the "uglies". Work was realy busy (60-70 hrs a week) so I wasn't planning on getting any fish until now. Have added a small cuc. My wife was tired of looking at a tank with no fish so she surprised me with one in the beginning of October, a yellow watchman. I didn't have a qt set up, so I acclimated it and in he went. The first week it looked great, ate like a pig and explored the tank. Week 2 noticed what looked like a small white bruise near its head, and during the next week it spread down to its tail. I was still working a lot a didn't have time or energy to set up a hospital tank. Around the 15th it died. I don't know what killed it.

I'm now in the process of setting up a qt tank. First fish will go into qt 2nd week of January, leaving dt fishless. The original plan was to use filter floss in a hang on filter, the filter floss was going to be in my sump to seed it. But now I'm thinking I shouldn't use anything from my dt in the qt setup (no water, filterflos, or anything) to leave the dt fallow as long as possible.

And yes, I told my wife not to surprise me with anything new for the tank, and no I don't have any pics of the fish.

Does this sound like the right thing to do?

SAT
11/04/2017, 03:31 PM
I can't tell you exactly what killed your watchman, but letting the tank go without fish, and not using anything from it, for a while is probably a good precaution. If the watchman had Cryptocaryon, I would recommend leaving it alone for 2-3 months.

Conditioning a filter isn't terribly difficult... throw in cocktail shrimp and let it rot. Once the ammonia disappears, you're good. When I'm not medicating, I like to use Polyfilter pads in QT to deal with any contaminants the regular filter misses.

JTL
11/04/2017, 03:49 PM
I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to fish diseases but it sounds like a bacterial infection not ich. If it was flukes you would need to treat the DT with prazipro because they have no host life cycle. Probably no reason to leave the tank fallow but it is a good idea to qt. I'm sure others will give you more advice/opinions.

Bruce51
11/04/2017, 05:18 PM
I don't think it was ich, didn't look like spots of salt, but looked like a bruise that contimued to get larger

JUNBUG361
11/05/2017, 10:07 AM
Water parameters readings??

Bruce51
12/02/2017, 11:05 AM
sorry it so long to get back to this.

parameters on 10/27 where
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2
salinity 1.025

just before water change
Red sea test kit

been doing some research and the second pic from this old thread closely resembles the start of the problem. The faint white bruising on top of his head.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154384&highlight=sick+ywg

parameters where from 10/29, not 10/27

Uncle99
12/02/2017, 04:37 PM
Bacterial
QT.....tank.....small light.......water......heater....
30 days and must eat daily

Bruce51
12/02/2017, 07:58 PM
qt tank is in 2nd week cycling
10 gallons
hang on the back filter rated for 20-30 gallons
50 watt heater
and a cheep power head I had laying around