PDA

View Full Version : Should I grease my return pump impeller

DerekTF
11/07/2017, 07:38 PM
So I have an aqua mag model 7. I have been running it in my sump for about a year now. I have occasionally ran it in a mixture of distilled white vinegar and rodi water.

It has recently started making a faint tick noise when I start it and either goes away or I just have stopped noticing it. Either way I think it's time I open it up and clean the inside.

I have never done this before but it seems straight forward my one big question though is should I lubricate the impeller when I re assemble and if so with what? Or is just wiping everything down and removing build up good enough?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oscargrumete61
11/07/2017, 08:23 PM
You can use silicone oil and there is not problem
Look
https://youtu.be/-4n4AaZLUrc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slief
11/07/2017, 11:55 PM
I would not advise lubricating the impeller. The water is the only lubricant you need and silicone grease in there will actually create resistance on the impeller which you don’t want. Silicone oil wont last and is nothing more than a bandaid.

There is likely some buildup or something inside the impeller area. You should take the pump completely apart. Remove the impeller and soak all the parts in pure household distilled vinegar for 10 minutes. Don’t go longer than 10 minutes though in straight vinegar. Then scrub inside and out so that all the parts look like new and rinse. Don’t soak the o-rings though. Then put it back together and it should run like new again. If you are hearing the ticking still, it’s likely an issue with the impeller and you should buy a replacement impeller or get yourself a better pump.

mcgyvr
11/08/2017, 05:38 AM
I second what slief said..

DerekTF
11/08/2017, 08:25 AM
I would not advise lubricating the impeller. The water is the only lubricant you need and silicone grease in there will actually create resistance on the impeller which you don’t want. Silicone oil wont last and is nothing more than a bandaid.

There is likely some buildup or something inside the impeller area. You should take the pump completely apart. Remove the impeller and soak all the parts in pure household distilled vinegar for 10 minutes. Don’t go longer than 10 minutes though in straight vinegar. Then scrub inside and out so that all the parts look like new and rinse. Don’t soak the o-rings though. Then put it back together and it should run like new again. If you are hearing the ticking still, it’s likely an issue with the impeller and you should buy a replacement impeller or get yourself a better pump.Okay. I can do that. So I should take the O ring off before I soak the parts. Do I grease the O ring at all when putting it back together?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
11/08/2017, 08:46 AM
Okay. I can do that. So I should take the O ring off before I soak the parts. Do I grease the O ring at all when putting it back together?

It really doesn't matter much.. Not dealing with mission critical space rockets here at all.. :)

It would be ok to apply a thin coat of food safe silicone grease to the oring if you have some laying around within reaching distance but don't go out of your way for it..
There should also be little reason to soak it and the vinegar will start to degrade it so yes..don't soak it and grease if you want..

slief
11/08/2017, 08:56 AM
It really doesn't matter much.. Not dealing with mission critical space rockets here at all.. :)

It would be ok to apply a thin coat of food safe silicone grease to the oring if you have some laying around within reaching distance but don't go out of your way for it..
There should also be little reason to soak it and the vinegar will start to degrade it so yes..don't soak it and grease if you want..

+1..

I just don’t recommend soaking o-rings in vinegar because vinegar will damage some o-rings. As such, it’s best not to soak them. What I do to my o-rings is toss them in some boiling water for a few minutes as that can help restore them to like new condition. A bit of silicone grease on the o-ring never hurts. In fact, for external pumps and reactors, it’s something I typically do as a matter of practice.

Jeramirez85
11/08/2017, 11:03 AM
On submersibles no need as water is enough to lubricate. On external most pumps have sealed bearings so no need to grease