PDA

View Full Version : Fully cured reef rock rubble

fishkeeprian
11/08/2017, 02:04 PM
I have ordered some rubble from a vendor to put in a tank with two fish I have put through ttm and prazi pro treatments.

I dont have a main dt setup at the moment.

The vendor has stated its fully cured rock which has been cured in bins away from any livestock.

Not sure how this will be freighted, maybe in damp paper but my question is can I put this straight in my QT tank without issues? I.e die off ammonia spike?

mcgyvr
11/08/2017, 02:14 PM
There can certainly be die off due to shipping and it may increase the potential for high ammonia levels/spikes in your tank..

fishkeeprian
11/08/2017, 03:15 PM
There can certainly be die off due to shipping and it may increase the potential for high ammonia levels/spikes in your tank..

So what would be the best way to approach this if you were in my senario?

mcgyvr
11/08/2017, 03:22 PM
So what would be the best way to approach this if you were in my senario?

I wouldn't pay for "rubble" as that sounds like a small amount and the shipping cost would be too much for such a small amount..

I would not order live rock rubble if I had no place to put it..

I don't know why your DT isn't in process and I really don't know how much of what you ordered so I can't really comment more but making assumptions I would either get my DT or sump or something up and running or get a bucket to put it in with SW until I got my DT/sump running..

Why don't you have a DT and why are you purchasing rock without a place to put it?

fishkeeprian
11/08/2017, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't pay for "rubble" as that sounds like a small amount and the shipping cost would be too much for such a small amount..

I would not order live rock rubble if I had no place to put it..

I don't know why your DT isn't in process and I really don't know how much of what you ordered so I can't really comment more but making assumptions I would either get my DT or sump or something up and running or get a bucket to put it in with SW until I got my DT/sump running..

Why don't you have a DT and why are you purchasing rock without a place to put it?

I've got a holding tank set up with two fish in which is the reason I ordered the rubble rock so I could have an instantly cycled tank where I didn't need to do water changes every couple of days until I have finished my dt tank. Got some plumbing etc to do on it.

mcgyvr
11/08/2017, 04:31 PM
If you want "instant cycle" that IMO is only possible with locally sourced fully cured live rock kept submerged that is not shipped to you..

You messed up IMO getting the fish before you had anything ready..

But you can put the rock in the tank.. Just make sure you are prepared for it not being "instantly cycled"..

fishkeeprian
11/09/2017, 12:22 AM
If you want "instant cycle" that IMO is only possible with locally sourced fully cured live rock kept submerged that is not shipped to you..

You messed up IMO getting the fish before you had anything ready..

But you can put the rock in the tank.. Just make sure you are prepared for it not being "instantly cycled"..

I completely agree I have messed up and it's causing me a headache. I will put the rock in a bucket and test for a week and see how the parameters stack up before I put into my tank

Redseadragon12
11/09/2017, 12:25 AM
ya rubble is no good. Best bet is to find some rock locally then just cure it yourself for around 4 weeks.