PDA

View Full Version : skimmer/light descisions

risk1994
11/09/2017, 11:03 AM
Im FINALLY upgrading to a larger tank from my 6g nano after 8yrs. I cant decide on skimmer/light. It will be a mixed reef, mostly lps but someday I would love to keep a clam. Noise is also big issue for me.

Tank - RedSea reefer 250
54G 35.5x21x20

Skimmer - either of these...
DC...
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-150int-6-internal-protein-skimmer-varios-reef-octopus.html - $450
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-oval-sv203-dc-internal-protein-skimmer.html - $390
AC
https://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Octopus_Classic_150_Space_Saver_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Protein_Skimmers_for_Aquariums_Reefs-Reef_Octopus-CV12514-FIPSIS-vi.html - $275
Ive never used a skimmer before, I gather the DC ones are quieter but holy smokes are they expensive. The classic 150 is so much checper, anyone know how the noise level is? Or even in these are good choices?

Light -
either 2 of these...
kessil 160s https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessil-a160we-tuna-blue-led-light.html - $479 total
or 2 of these...
kessil 360s https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessil-a360w-tuna-blue-led-aquarium-light.html - $798 total.
I've seen some folks do really well with 2 160's on this tank and at $400 less Id love to go with those...my concern is will they be powerful enough to keep a clam.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/09/2017, 11:16 AM
I've never used those specific skimmers but I will say that IME most skimmer noise is from the air intake and not the pump, so I personally would not spend more just on the promise of a quieter pump. The good news is that you can build or buy a silencer for the air intake if your skimmer doesn't come with one and in most cases that will make the skimmer fairly quiet.

With respect to the lighting - the Kessils all have a fairly strong hotspot right underneath them. I have a 160 on a tank 18 inches deep and I would not hesitate to keep a clam directly under it.

RobZilla04
11/09/2017, 11:48 AM
If you have your heart set on the expensive high end equipment, any combination of those would be great. On the other hand less expensive Bubble Magus Curve 5 or 7 and black box LED's are an option which will leave plenty of cash for large coral colonies vs. the small frags.

risk1994
11/09/2017, 12:15 PM
Definitely dont have my heart set expensive stuff thats for sure. I just dont want to limit myself out of the gate.

Uncle99
11/09/2017, 12:30 PM
I use 2, Visparspectra LED lights mounted 19" above my 70g and I keep softs, LPS, and a couple less demanding SPS and a clam. Run at only half intensity and corals love them.
I love them more cause they were only 169 Canadian delivered well built quiet to the point that sometimes I think the fan has stopped.

RobZilla04
11/09/2017, 12:52 PM
I use 2, Visparspectra LED lights mounted 19" above my 70g and I keep softs, LPS, and a couple less demanding SPS and a clam. Run at only half intensity and corals love them.
I love them more cause they were only 169 Canadian delivered well built quiet to the point that sometimes I think the fan has stopped.

Ditto on the Viparspectra LED's. Two here mounted 10" above the water line.

Xandernfs
11/09/2017, 01:22 PM
I just started up my Reefer 250 last week and I went with the RO 150SSS. It's a little loud, but it is not due to the pump. It is more due to the bubbles. I have yet to dial it in since it's still breaking in so I'm just going to leave it be for now.

I have the Kessil a160s on it as well. I'm looking to keep softies, LPS, and MAYBE some easy SPS. The reason why I went with the a160s was due to a guy on youtube who was growing some good sps (monti) in there no problem. Search "Nathan Willard" on youtube and you can see a lot of his updates. I'm still cycling it and so far so good.

risk1994
11/09/2017, 01:32 PM
I saw Nathans tank also, amazing. Its his tank thats making me think the 160's will be enough.

I thought I had just settled on the 150ss but now that your saying its loud ill have to reconsider...I really dont want noise.

Do you have a thread for your tank? Do you like it?

Xandernfs
11/09/2017, 02:23 PM
I saw Nathans tank also, amazing. Its his tank thats making me think the 160's will be enough.

I thought I had just settled on the 150ss but now that your saying its loud ill have to reconsider...I really dont want noise.

Do you have a thread for your tank? Do you like it?

I do not have a thread for my tank. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to dedicate to a thread on a weekly basis nor do I have the funds to really make a lot of change in my tank. It's going to be a slow growing process for me.

It's not loud, loud per say, but there is a slight hum. I've read that once it breaks in it gets a lot quieter. It's on, but not skimming anything since it is not dialed in and I do not have a bio load. I have it in my living room and I don't even notice it, even with vaulted ceilings.

Edit: I do too think that the a160s are enough. I'm a firm believer in water quality/supplementation does wonder ALONG with quality lighting.

risk1994
11/09/2017, 02:52 PM
nor do I have the funds to really make a lot of change in my tank. It's going to be a slow growing process for me.

Man I heard that, the tank/lighting/return pump/skimmer, its a big nut. I need to get this right, I dont see myself spending much $$ after this.

rocsec1
11/10/2017, 08:29 AM
Either of your choices would be fine. I️ like high end equipment but not high end prices so I️ buy used whenever possible.