PDA

View Full Version : Angler fish pens cruel or cool ?

FinnCole
11/10/2017, 04:19 PM
What do you guys think of these things I am setting up a frogfish tank bit if these things are ok I might just set up one of these? (Note if I set up one it would be in a much bigger pen)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171110/b8c17283748a4f82b646a368d8e8d66e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Fiver
11/10/2017, 04:23 PM
You mean, keeping it in a larger pen inside the tank fulltime? I vote no.

Gweeds
11/10/2017, 05:00 PM
Is this alongside the massive puffer tank, the small puffer tank, the boxfish tank, the dwarf lion / Scorpionfish / frogfish tank, the Stonefish tank, the saltwater pond and the pregnant dog?

Or will it be in the 24g nano?

Sorry... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FinnCole
11/10/2017, 05:13 PM
Is this alongside the massive puffer tank, the small puffer tank, the boxfish tank, the dwarf lion / Scorpionfish / frogfish tank, the Stonefish tank, the saltwater pond and the pregnant dog?

Or will it be in the 24g nano?

Sorry... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkMost of these where just ideas and concepts I was throwing around not really serious and Shhh about the dog thing you will get me in trouble

sde1500
11/10/2017, 05:18 PM
Lol yea can't keep up with the "what if" tanks. Though not sure the question here. Are you actually asking if it's cool to keep a fish long term in an acclimation box?

Gweeds
11/10/2017, 10:25 PM
For the record... no, you can't keep a fish in a 'pen' it is definitely not cool. The glass boxes we force our fish to live in are small enough... let's not get into boxes inside boxes.

There's a perfectly acceptable 'pen' you can keep an anglerfish in... it's called an aquarium.

FinnCole
11/11/2017, 05:51 AM
For the record... no, you can't keep a fish in a 'pen' it is definitely not cool. The glass boxes we force our fish to live in are small enough... let's not get into boxes inside boxes.

There's a perfectly acceptable 'pen' you can keep an anglerfish in... it's called an aquarium.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkI kind of disagree with that logic there lets say you have a 200 gallon tank and you put in a refugium/pen thing in the tank that's 20 gallons most people keep frogfish in 20 gallon tanks you add sand and rock what's the problem ? (I am not going to do this this is just an example)

sde1500
11/11/2017, 06:27 AM
I kind of disagree with that logic there lets say you have a 200 gallon tank and you put in a refugium/pen thing in the tank that's 20 gallons most people keep frogfish in 20 gallon tanks you add sand and rock what's the problem ? (I am not going to do this this is just an example)

A fuge on many tanks could be a tank in and of itself. You weren't asking about putting a frogfish in your 20g fuge. You were asking about putting it in an acclimation box long term. Or if you weren't you need to clarify your question desperately.

mike61289
11/11/2017, 07:21 AM
If you want to get a fish, you need to provide it with a proper environment. It should be similar in appearance to the natural environment they come from in order to reduce stress. You can't do that in am acclimation box. It is just too small.

To answer your question, it would be cruel to permanently house a fish in an acclimation box.

Dmorty217
11/11/2017, 08:09 AM
Sounds like the OP already knew the answer to this question. In the future, impulse buying saltwater fish when you have no means of housing them properly is a really bad practice and you should refrain from doing that again.

sde1500
11/11/2017, 09:31 AM
Sounds like the OP already knew the answer to this question. In the future, impulse buying saltwater fish when you have no means of housing them properly is a really bad practice and you should refrain from doing that again.

Hopefully he didn't buy it. Seems 99% of his posts are just a kid playing "what if". No real harm but decent amount of time spent getting answers to something that probably will never happen.

Gweeds
11/11/2017, 02:26 PM
Hopefully he didn't buy it. Seems 99% of his posts are just a kid playing "what if". No real harm but decent amount of time spent getting answers to something that probably will never happen.Yup...

Bobbitworm13
11/11/2017, 08:21 PM
Hopefully he didn't buy it. Seems 99% of his posts are just a kid playing "what if". No real harm but decent amount of time spent getting answers to something that probably will never happen.

This, like eating mysis. Did you ever actually eat the mysis Finn?

FinnCole
11/11/2017, 09:55 PM
This, like eating mysis. Did you ever actually eat the mysis Finn?Nah found out I was allergic touched it and it made me think my puffer poisoned me thought I was gunna die

FinnCole
11/11/2017, 10:02 PM
Look guys I have changed it might not look like it but I have I took a break from the hobby for a bit but I came back and realised my old plans where ridiculous and wouldn't work I decided to go down a easier root. and yes I was meaning something like a in tank fuge kind of thing I thought fuge where only for pods though. So here are my new plans 65 gallon reef and 20 gallon frogfish tank. Sorry about my former stupidity I have been looking at this forum for years but only recently made an account and I had so many ideas for tanks

Gweeds
11/11/2017, 10:59 PM
Look guys I have changed it might not look like it but I have I took a break from the hobby for a bit but I came back and realised my old plans where ridiculous and wouldn't work I decided to go down a easier root. and yes I was meaning something like a in tank fuge kind of thing I thought fuge where only for pods though. So here are my new plans 65 gallon reef and 20 gallon frogfish tank. Sorry about my former stupidity I have been looking at this forum for years but only recently made an account and I had so many ideas for tanks

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TapatalkThat's great... really hope that's true. There's nothing wrong with getting excited and thinking up plans... we all dream and obviously it's great to do your research. I think you're getting tongue in cheek answers now because of those past posts... you say you've taken a break, but your last thread before this one was on Nov 3rd... that's looks like it was in a similar ilk to your others.

Just be honest with people and honest with yourself and you'll get a lot more respect.

Good luck.

Gweeds
11/11/2017, 11:02 PM
Oh, and if that's what you meant, then why not say it from the start? 'Is it ethical to keep an anglerfish in a refugium?' is an entirely different question to 'anglerfish pens, cruel or cool?' accompanied by a pic of an angler in a tiny acclimation box...

FinnCole
11/12/2017, 02:47 AM
That's great... really hope that's true. There's nothing wrong with getting excited and thinking up plans... we all dream and obviously it's great to do your research. I think you're getting tongue in cheek answers now because of those past posts... you say you've taken a break, but your last thread before this one was on Nov 3rd... that's looks like it was in a similar ilk to your others.

Just be honest with people and honest with yourself and you'll get a lot more respect.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkYou mean the dog one ? That was a joke

Gweeds
11/12/2017, 02:53 AM
You mean the dog one ? That was a joke

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TapatalkI think it's fair to say this is off topic now.