PDA

View Full Version : Salt mix parameters issue

AnnaCassandra
11/12/2017, 11:13 AM
I only have a few corals in my tank, it's a 90 Gal and I'd like to start adding more (mostly lps maybe some sps) but I'm having trouble stabilizing my parameters. We moved a couple months ago to an acreage with well water and lost about 15 gal of water in the move (lids weren't water tight) so we had to mix replace it by using the well water. Since then we've set up the RO/di and have been doing ~10gal per week water changes. Prior to the move we were using regular IO salt and when we read out I planned to switch to reef crystals but the lady at the LFS talked me into a 25kg box of aquaforest sea salt by saying it was better value than the reef crystals and the same quality. However I'd like to keep my calcium at about 440 and dkh at about 9 and the newly mixed water with this salt is calcium ~340 and dkh~7. I still have a ton of this salt left so I'd like to use it but every time I do a water change it drives my parameters down then I'm stuck trying to balance them back out again. I have bulk 2-part how do I figure out how much of each to add to each bucket to reach the parameters I want before doing water change?

mcgyvr
11/12/2017, 01:44 PM
The aquaforest parameters are very good out of the box IMO and RC is way too much for a tank with only a few corals..
IMO you are better sticking with and using what you have but your measurements might be a bit off as it should mix up with Cal in the 410-430mg/l and Alk of 7.4-8.2 dKH..

But if you want there are 2 part calculators on BRS (bulkreefsupply) to show you how much you need.. I personally think you should just leave it though..

bertoni
11/12/2017, 04:39 PM
Have you checked the salinity or double-checked the test kits? Those numbers are very low for IO. I'd see what's happening there before changing anything. IO should be at more like 400 ppm calcium and 9-10 dKH.

mcgyvr
11/12/2017, 04:45 PM
Jonathan.. They said aquaforest salt not IO

Ron Reefman
11/13/2017, 07:13 AM
They are low for any mixed reef salt IMHO!

Take a sample to somebody else (an LFS, a friend with an aquarium...). Test your water with their kits. Then test their water with their kits and with yours. If they don't come close, somebody's kits are bad.

RobZilla04
11/13/2017, 09:43 AM
Bottom line, use a salt mix that has the desired parameters you are targeting. As consumption increases (corals grow and more are introduced), dosing between WC's will become necessary. Dose to maintain the parameters as close to those of the salt mix as possible. Viola, done.

bertoni
11/13/2017, 02:59 PM
Argh! "Prior to the move". Sigh!

Those numbers still seem very low. I'd double check the relevant kits and SG.

AnnaCassandra
11/16/2017, 09:39 AM
It's not the Aquaforest Reef salt that I got, it's the "sea salt" that comes in a box not a bucket, and my measured parameters are within range of their advertised levels for that product. I had thought that maybe my testing methods were off but I've noticed an appreciable difference in the few corals I do have when I've let my levels fall to match the salt mix. I've calibrated my refractometer and checked the salinity.

mcgyvr
11/16/2017, 10:12 AM
It's not the Aquaforest Reef salt that I got, it's the "sea salt" that comes in a box not a bucket, and my measured parameters are within range of their advertised levels for that product. I had thought that maybe my testing methods were off but I've noticed an appreciable difference in the few corals I do have when I've let my levels fall to match the salt mix. I've calibrated my refractometer and checked the salinity.

In that case what is your salinity..
You may want to up it to 1.025-1.026 (35ppt) and see how your levels increase..
The stated parameters for aquaforest sea salt is at 30ppt and most recommend running 35ppt..

Aquaforest Sea Salt (30ppt salinity)
24°C / 75.2°F
Mg – 1200-1300 mg/l
Ca – 360-400 mg/l
K – 300-350 mg/l
dKH – 8,0-9,0
pH – 8,0-8,2

But I guess to answer your question..
Here is a calculator (and there are more that google can help you find) to calculate how much 2 part you need to raise your parameters to whatever you want..
Its always best to start under though as far as dosage.. Then measure and adjust as needed..
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator

bertoni
11/16/2017, 06:08 PM
If the salinity has been checked with a device calibrated with a saltwater standard, the result likely is more than close enough for our purposes. 1.0264 SG is a reasonable target level.

The calculator given will help with doses. I agree with going with a smaller dose. All these calculators require a guess as to the water volume, which introduces a lot of uncertainty.