PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic vs PolyCarb

ca1ore
11/13/2017, 08:14 AM
As I've ventured into the world of plastic tanks (and overflows), I have noted that while the body of both is acrylic, the lids are typically polycarbonate. I'm assuming that is because polycarb warps less in the presence of moisture? Can experience users kindly confirm? I'm looking for a thin, light blocking material to use as a lid on my tank, but I don't want to use acrylic because it warps so much. Thanks in advance.

Vinny Kreyling
11/13/2017, 09:15 AM
ABS ??
I made an open topped canopy with it & now I use the parts for overflow box covers & whatever else I need. 3/32" thick
For a cover I would use a brace for a handle running the long way because of the thickness.

ca1ore
11/13/2017, 09:25 AM
Hmmn, not sure if polycarbonate and ABS is the same thing. I'm looking for a material that does not require a handle/brace.

Vinny Kreyling
11/13/2017, 09:41 AM
I was told ABS because it can handle heat no problem( had MH lights).
Thickness will have a lot to do with deflection.

mcgyvr
11/13/2017, 10:43 AM
polycarbonate is basically impact resistant acrylic that will absorb less water too..
It should warp less than acrylic..

ABS is not polycarbonate..

What about PVC? I'd use it when you don't need transparency and want low water absorption.... or HDPE

Shia
11/13/2017, 11:06 AM
At my LFS they have polycarbonate lids and after time (not sure if it was months or years) they become very hazy. Apparently that is an issue with them, but don't know too much about it. I personally went to a glass shop and had them cut out glass lids in 1/8" glass, has worked very well for me and cleaning means throwing some vinegar on them.

ca1ore
11/13/2017, 11:15 AM
What about PVC? I'd use it when you don't need transparency and want low water absorption.... or HDPE

Yeah, was thinking about star board as a possibility as well - actually maybe the best choice.

Vinny Kreyling
11/13/2017, 02:18 PM
If it's good for the bottom no reason it would not be good on the top too ---

ca1ore
11/18/2017, 07:04 PM
Ended up buying a palight projectPVC foam sheet in matt black and using that. It's light and won't warp (supposedly).