PDA

View Full Version : Stocking limit for 55g

Frost_Hydra
11/14/2017, 09:25 PM
I currently have 5 fish and 2 inverts (not counting snails and crabs). And my end goal is to have a total of 8 fish and 3 inverts in my tank. I was curious if you guys though this was reasonable for a 55g as ive heard many diffrent numbers. Such as a 55g should only have 5 fish, and some other people saying they could have 10. All the fish will be around 4 inches when they are adults. also, I dont know if this makes a diffrence, but I have a huge pile of malco algae (about a foot in diamter) in the tank. Theres about 50 pounds of live rock, and a 2.5 inch sandbed.

nereefpat
11/14/2017, 10:32 PM
What specific fishes?

DreadCapn
11/14/2017, 10:38 PM
I have a 55g freshwater that has 6 mature tiger barbs, 2 mature giant dianios, and 1 mature kilifish. If the tiger barbs weren't constantly grouped/shoaled, I don't think there would be enough room.

There aren't any hard and fast rules about what you can have in the tank, but I don't think 8 fish is a good idea in a 55g. Marine fish need enough space to be territorial, and with that in mind, I'd aim more toward that 5 number. The thing about 55g is that they are narrow, and that cuts down on viable territories a LOT.

That said, add fish slowly, and see how 5 feels when you get up there. If you feel like you can add another fish or three then, it's just a pleasant surprise that let's you get some fish you had decided you weren't going to be able to have!

thegrun
11/14/2017, 10:49 PM
That is too many fish for a 55. As posted above listing the fish you have would help, but regardless of their species I would not advise adding more fish. As a point of reference I have 12 fish in my 120 and it's as full.

ReefMaster48
11/15/2017, 06:37 AM
I currently have 5 fish and 2 inverts (not counting snails and crabs). And my end goal is to have a total of 8 fish and 3 inverts in my tank. I was curious if you guys though this was reasonable for a 55g as ive heard many diffrent numbers. Such as a 55g should only have 5 fish, and some other people saying they could have 10. All the fish will be around 4 inches when they are adults. also, I dont know if this makes a diffrence, but I have a huge pile of malco algae (about a foot in diamter) in the tank. Theres about 50 pounds of live rock, and a 2.5 inch sandbed.

Read this article! http://clearwatersaquarium.com/article_stocking.htm#.WgwyaEqnGM8 Very good info! I include the sump tank in the calculation, and depending on your husbandry, I think it can be pushed to 4 inches per sqft. But again, only if you have the right equipment and maintenance.

I think the problem is more so the biological side then the aggression side. Before you have aggression issues, at least with most "community" fish, you will have high Nitrate issues, low oxygen, algae, etc etc. Just my $0.02

sde1500
11/15/2017, 07:42 AM
Inch per gallon or square foot is a terrible way to try and figure out stocking levels.

All depends on fish size, diet, and where they stay. If it is 10 fish that all swim in the water column, probably over stocked. But if it is a mix of very small to small fish, ones that stay on the rocks or sand, some in the water column and some that tend to stick to a small territory, maybe it isn't over stocked.

We can't help without knowing what fish you have, and what fish you want to add though.

ReefMaster48
11/15/2017, 09:33 AM
Inch per gallon or square foot is a terrible way to try and figure out stocking levels.

Not necessarily. To take it literally? Yes, not a great way. But with anything, there is always a guideline of sorts to follow. Doesn't mean its the end all be all, but it can be easily and effectively used. Depends on the the fish kept and the bioload they put on the tank. Which is also why I tried to make the point that it depends on your fish and husbandry aswell. :thumbsup:

We can't help without knowing what fish you have, and what fish you want to add though.

+1 OP, knowing the exact fish will give you an exact answer, well, pretty much.

Frost_Hydra
11/15/2017, 10:41 PM
Ok here is the current stock:
1 Male Flasher Wrasse
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Female Teardrop Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Male Midnight Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Curious Wormfish
1 Black Axil Chromis (just arrived)
Inverts:
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Small BTA
1 Peppermint Shrimp (just arrived)
MAYBE 1 Peterson Shrimp (I haven't seen it in 3 weeks)
20ish snails of 5 different species
7 hermit crabs of 3 different species

And I don't know if it's related or not but I have a very high copepod population.

Planning to add:
Soft Corals
Another BTA
1 Tracey's Damselfish
and 1 more Curious Wormfish

All these fish (besides the Goby) are relatively small and are below 4 1/2 inches when adults. I think layout wise there an abundance of rock for shelter and I don't think any particular part of the tank (bottom, middle, top) will be crowded

ReefMaster48
11/16/2017, 08:42 AM
I think the problem is more so the biological side then the aggression side. Before you have aggression issues, at least with most "community" fish, you will have high Nitrate issues, low oxygen, algae, etc etc.

I just noticed this, and should correct myself. It is really the other way around.

Granted, in a tank full of one or two species of peaceful fish, this is correct. However, not in a "mixed" tank. Fish need their space, and will fight if they don't like someone. Clowns especially can become very territorial. Even more so if they are a mated pair, and even more so if they breed.

Given your stocking list, I would say that you are at the top end of the spectrum. I would be cautious as to what if anything you add next. Remember that unless you want to give all of your fish away in a year, then calculate the adult size, not current. They grow, and will need either less fish or more room. Don't buy fish based on what you want to get in the future.

sde1500
11/16/2017, 12:08 PM
Another worm fish may be ok, not so sure on that damsel. Clowns are also damsels and a pair, plus that one may be more than they want in that tank.

ReefMaster48
11/16/2017, 12:33 PM
another worm fish may be ok, not so sure on that damsel. Clowns are also damsels and a pair, plus that one may be more than they want in that tank.

+1

Frost_Hydra
11/16/2017, 03:20 PM
Thanks, I was really hoping on adding another wormfish as I found out that they are like Dartfish and prefer to be with others of the same species. They also only grow around 4 inches and are around as thick as a pencil so I didn't think they would be able to produce that much waste