PDA

View Full Version : Reef Temp

SFKINNC
11/15/2017, 12:07 PM
In the process of reef setup. Using BioCube 32. So far, temps seem high. Likely causes are lights or bad heater adjustment. Am working on heater adjustment which takes time, I know. Would like to avoid a chiller if possible. What is considered MAX acceptable temp for reef? What critters can live well at that temp? Can anyone suggest how to program BioCube LEDs to help lower temp without being too dim for corals?

GimpyFin
11/15/2017, 12:23 PM
You can go up to 84-85 for most things without any issues. If you can, adding a fan or ventilation to help increase evaporation might help with cooling it down a bit.

nereefpat
11/15/2017, 01:06 PM
LEDs shouldn't give you temperature issues.

What is the tank's current temp? What is the room temp?

hkgar
11/15/2017, 02:35 PM
The most important element needed is what is the current temperature range?

my SPS tank ranges from 78 to 81

nanosteve309
11/15/2017, 06:16 PM
What heater are you using? Has the temp been high in the tank no matter how you adjust the heater?

TDB
11/15/2017, 07:00 PM
leds shouldn't give you temperature issues.

What is the tank's current temp? What is the room temp?

+ 1

SFKINNC
11/15/2017, 08:26 PM
What heater are you using? Has the temp been high in the tank no matter how you adjust the heater?

Using two Eheim Jager 75s. Room temp is 69. Tank went to 85 yesterday am trying to get it adjusted and all settings battened down before introducing livestock.

Fans and open top not possible on BioCube 32.

nereefpat
11/15/2017, 10:01 PM
My guess is that one of the heaters is either offset or stuck on.

Figure out which one. Then turn it down. A cheap controller like an inkbird might be worth looking into as well.

mcgyvr
11/16/2017, 05:11 AM
First simple check is to unplug the heaters..
Does the tank reach anywhere near 85 now? IF not one of the heaters is on when it shouldn't be.. It could be that its failed or just that the temperature calibration is way off or you have it set too high or whatever..

If not then we need to look at the next think producing heat..
What pumps?
What lighting? Stock lighting?

With room temp of 69 there should be no reason your tank needs fans or a chiller or anything else...

nanosteve309
11/16/2017, 09:05 AM
First simple check is to unplug the heaters..
Does the tank reach anywhere near 85 now? IF not one of the heaters is on when it shouldn't be.. It could be that its failed or just that the temperature calibration is way off or you have it set too high or whatever..

If not then we need to look at the next think producing heat..
What pumps?
What lighting? Stock lighting?

With room temp of 69 there should be no reason your tank needs fans or a chiller or anything else...

^ Best of course of action. Turn off both heaters and what a day. Respond back in this thread when you have the resulting temperature.

Pandagobyguy
11/16/2017, 09:26 AM
+1 mcguyver

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
11/16/2017, 11:14 AM
+1 pandagobyguy

SFKINNC
11/16/2017, 12:42 PM
Adjusted heaters down. They were more tricky to adjust than other heaters I’ve used before. I chose them because of the brand that I’ve heard good things about. They do seem to work well if you figure out how to set the temp.

Temp is now hovering around 78.8 F (26 C). Problem solved. Thanks All.

mcgyvr
11/16/2017, 01:07 PM
Good glad you got it sorted..

In general a tank will stay the same temperature as the room around it (ambient)..
Then you start adding heat into it via pumps/lighting.. Those 2 things will increase the water temperature over the room ambient..
A submersible pump that requires 100W to operate is basically the same as having a 100W heater running full time..

Then of course we need dedicated heaters when the ambient + heat from pumps/lighting is not sufficient to keep the tank at the optimal temperature..