PDA

View Full Version : Orange coral viewing glasses as a tent

Rhett 1
11/15/2017, 03:02 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or seen somebody adding the same orange tint that is on the coral viewing glasses directly to the tank glass so it would always have an enhanced color any down sides to this ?

Bpb
11/15/2017, 03:28 PM
I cannot imagine why anyone would do that. Those orange filters are just used for pictures to compensate for the camera being over responsive to blue light. I have never heard of anyone using it to just look at the tank for the heck of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

saf1
11/15/2017, 07:52 PM
What @Bpb said. The red and/or orange filters you see used on cameras or camcorders (ala GoPro) under water deal with light and the loss of some colors. Depending on the depth one would use orange or red. I have it somewhere but think 25 - 50 feet (ish) one would use orange filters and anything deeper one would use red. I used a red filter on my GoPro when I'm in the deeper waters (75' or more).

Your mileage may vary of course but underwater is when one would use them.

Optionman
11/16/2017, 07:07 AM
You mean like this:382669

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MondoBongo
11/16/2017, 08:32 AM
I cannot imagine why anyone would do that. Those orange filters are just used for pictures to compensate for the camera being over responsive to blue light. I have never heard of anyone using it to just look at the tank for the heck of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

because it helps highlight details to the human eye as well. you will notice things much more easily with high blue and a yellow filter than you will with your naked eye. it's actually been used by researchers as an easier way to count polyps during corals studies.

to the OP: i've never seen it permanently, however you can order large sheets of gel from amazon that are used to tint stage lights that work quite well for this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFVWK00/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Optionman
11/16/2017, 08:41 AM
i bought that sheet at B&H Photo in NYC, its available in range of tints. i did see a website once for a company that specialized in selling colored gels to attach permanently to fish tanks, but it was beyond stupid expensive.

ReefMaster48
11/16/2017, 08:46 AM
You mean like this:382669

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to hijack from the OP, but how do you like your Red Sea tank? Do you recall what size it is?

Planning on upgrading in the future, and I think I will be going with Red Sea. For the price of a custom tank, I could buy a RS and be cheaper. And not have to build it all myself (which I love, but I tend to go overboard... $$$$$) lol.

Optionman
11/16/2017, 09:01 AM
I don't mean to hijack from the OP, but how do you like your Red Sea tank? Do you recall what size it is?

Planning on upgrading in the future, and I think I will be going with Red Sea. For the price of a custom tank, I could buy a RS and be cheaper. And not have to build it all myself (which I love, but I tend to go overboard... $$$$$) lol.

i love the RS. i have the RS650 (60x24x24) (150 gal DT + 25 gal sump). set up in late March 2016, upgraded to Hydra HD26 LEDs in June 2016. only complaint was need to replace RS stock skimmer due to noise and daily need to adjust. main return + 4 back wall recirculating pumps provide tons of flow.

ReefMaster48
11/16/2017, 12:40 PM
i love the RS. i have the RS650 (60x24x24) (150 gal DT + 25 gal sump). set up in late March 2016, upgraded to Hydra HD26 LEDs in June 2016. only complaint was need to replace RS stock skimmer due to noise and daily need to adjust. main return + 4 back wall recirculating pumps provide tons of flow.

Awesome! I think that's the one I will go with too! BRS sells them in a complete package too, so all i have to buy is the stuff that goes in the tank. I really like a longer tank, but I'd be very happy with the RS from what I've been seening and hearing. No need to pay 2-3K just for the tank. :thumbsup: Thanks so much!