PDA

View Full Version : Building a cave

devildog999
11/20/2017, 05:11 AM
Morning,

I have a couple Harlequin shrimp who have made the main rockwork in my 50g tank their home... I fear this could be bad for them when I add my 5 inch Blue Spot Watchman Goby to the tank after QT and he undoubtedly decides this is his new home.

To get ahead of this future battle (and loss), I am wanting to make a "cave" of sorts so that I can put chocolate stars in it and the shrimps will have to eat them in there (a small entrance or two will make it impossible for them to remove the food) and end up staying in the cave. I tried using some of the two part tube coral putty but it is just not gonna work very well for making this so what is the best thing to use to glue this "cave" together?

Thank you

devildog999
11/20/2017, 06:26 PM
Bump

WVfishguy
11/21/2017, 02:40 AM
PVC pipe, epoxy, reef safe rock. I've made several caves this way.

mcgyvr
11/21/2017, 05:39 AM
And the goby will want the new cave ;)

devildog999
11/21/2017, 07:08 AM
And the goby will want the new cave ;)

Of course, but I has plans for that. This will go all the way to the glass bottom with no gaps that he can fit (he's 5 inches, he ain't no small goby) and the only openings above sand will be small enough to fit the shrimps. Plus, the main rockwork is a much nicer and larger cave.

Hopefully this will work....but you know what they say about telling god your best laid plans...