PDA

View Full Version : please identify this stuff

mastewar20
11/20/2017, 05:53 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been established for about a year or so. Recently some stuff has appeared on my rocks. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Thanks

mcgyvr
11/20/2017, 05:55 PM
Looks like common green hair algae..
Typically the results of higher than optimal nutrient levels (nitrate and phosphate)
Have you tested for those lately? If so what are the results..
Are you using tap water or RO/DI water?
What is your current water change schedule?

mastewar20
11/20/2017, 06:07 PM
I have been using DI water for my water changes. I usually do a 10% water change about every 2 to 3 weeks. However I must confess I did use tap water once or twice. But I mostly use DI water. The nitrate level is in the 20ppm range. How can I get rid of this stuff.

outy
11/20/2017, 07:54 PM
get rid of nitrate and phosphates

mastewar20
11/21/2017, 07:50 AM
Thanks for that detailed response, it is most helpful. I would have never known to get rid of nitrates and phosphates! You should open up your own advise center because that was one of the best answers I have ever seen.

mcgyvr
11/21/2017, 08:07 AM
Well... that is typically the issue..
How you go about solving the problem is dependent on a number of factors..

Simply increasing water changes can help reduce excessive nutrients/DOC's..

Or maybe you have no corals and want to just remove the rocks a few at a time and do a soak/scrub in 50% used tank water/50% hydrogen peroxide..

Or maybe you want to start carbon dosing to reduce nutrients..

Or maybe you want to reduce feeding..

Or maybe you want to reduce phosphates (if they are the problem) by running GFO..

Or maybe you want to out compete the algae by running an algae turf scrubber or algal reactor..

Or maybe you want to incorporate a refugium to give you an area for growing macro algaes..

Or use the search for more as this is one of the most common problem and there are literally thousands and thousands of posts/articles,etc.. about algae problems in aquariums and how to solve them..

Small Heavens
11/21/2017, 08:10 AM
(oh, good advice above, +1 to that reply)

Your tank contain these bacteria called Anaerobic bacteria, along with your normal beneficial bacteria.

You need to feed those anaerobic bacteria some liquid carbon daily, then they will eat the phosphates and nitrates for you. Without the carbon they can't. The ugly tank stage can still take some time to get through, you can also add decorative macro algae to eat some of the nutrients before the ugly algae can benefit from it.

Enjoy!

Uncle99
11/21/2017, 10:02 AM
Pull it off as much as possible
Lower light intensity and/or photoperiod.
Use only RODI water. Make daily changes with this water.
Dose with RS no Pox, but this will take about 8-12 weeks.
Use Phosphate remover like agent green or run a GFO.
All of these are great, as many as you can puts the nitrate and phosphate down to zero.

ReeferNoob4ever
11/21/2017, 10:11 AM
I like you am seeing GHA in my tank and trying to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control. At the moment I have reduced feeding, reduced time my T5 lights are on by 2 hrs per day, closed the blinds in my room so no sun light enters (this step alone has already stopped the little amount of diatoms I was still experiencing), doing more frequent water changes, and manually removing what I can. I also added an urchin to help the turbo snails eat it. My next move will be to run an algae reactor for future nutrient export control. There are so many ways to attack algae issues it really depends on what works best for your situation. I try to stay away from chemicals until I feel the breaking point (except with cyano, I just hit it with Red Slime Remover and move on).

Good luck, this can be a long twisty road, but it's fixable if you start making corrective measures immediately!

mastewar20
11/21/2017, 01:39 PM
I added some blue legged hermits, emerald crabs and some turbos. I cleaned as much as I could by hand. I am hoping the hermits and crabs take care of the rest. also I reduced the amount of light per day. I am not big on adding chemical to my tank. I have had fresh water for years and about 2 years ago decided to buy another tank and try the salt water. I can see that fresh water is a lot more forgiving than salt water. I will continue doing water changes, until this stuff gets under control.

sde1500
11/21/2017, 01:40 PM
Thanks for that detailed response, it is most helpful. I would have never known to get rid of nitrates and phosphates! You should open up your own advise center because that was one of the best answers I have ever seen.

But he is right, so get over yourself lol.

Temporary solution, pull the rock out and dip in peroxide if there are no corals on it.