PDA

View Full Version : Is a Chinese LED 1"-2" off top of tank okay?

drew930
11/20/2017, 06:55 PM
I am mounting some LEDs inside my canopy. It's going to be (3) Chinese leds. The Galaxy Hydros. Problem is I only have a 7" canopy. So after accounting for the cords and control coming from the top, the fixture will only be about 1-2" max above the rim of tank. So maybe 2-3" off water completely. There will be egg crate below that.

Other than coverage is this going to be an issue? I assume since there LEDs they won't be hot enough to heat the water or melt the egg crate...

Just never hung lights this low to the water....

Thanks!

mcgyvr
11/20/2017, 07:00 PM
That will probably be "ok".. higher would be far better though..

not only will spread be reduced but you may experience problems from water splashing,etc...

Build a new canopy? Take it off?

Daddi0
11/20/2017, 07:03 PM
Have you watched the BRS video on those cheap black boxes?
Cheers! Mark

drew930
11/20/2017, 07:34 PM
I was thinking of building one but the boss lady wants a matching stand and canopy lol also thought about taking the lid off and running them on top but would look a little bad for her as well lol so I'm screwed there.

I got these in a package deal so I'm gonna give them a shot at least. I was thinking Maybe Radions. I could mount nearly flush with the lid but still would only be about 4.5-5" off rim.

Ron Reefman
11/22/2017, 05:27 AM
Radions are a point source fixture (led pucks) and being close to the water will make the problem worse than the Galaxy Hydro fixtures which have led arrays (more spread). And the actual light from the Radions is NOT significantly 'better' than the light from the Galaxy Hydro. Not to mention WAY more expensive.

RobZilla04
11/22/2017, 07:55 AM
Have you watched the BRS video on those cheap black boxes?
Cheers! Mark

Within the first two minutes BRS admits reefers who spend $800+ on lighting don't wanna hear that corals can be successfully grown using the black box LEDs. No reason to watch the remaining 21 minutes of that video....:debi:

While it's obvious, in general, that the more money spent the better quality you get, these fixtures do work well.

alton
11/22/2017, 07:56 AM
Make sure they are plugged into there own GFCI Receptacle.

Bronx19
11/22/2017, 01:46 PM
Within the first two minutes BRS admits reefers who spend $800+ on lighting don't wanna hear that corals can be successfully grown using the black box LEDs. No reason to watch the remaining 21 minutes of that video....:debi:.

Thank God you're not a detective.

They did test the lights as they have all others. Chinese lights produce massive PAR in the middle of the fixtures, you want these lights 12" off the water.

RobZilla04
11/22/2017, 02:58 PM
Thank God you're not a detective.

They did test the lights as they have all others. Chinese lights produce massive PAR in the middle of the fixtures, you want these lights 12" off the water.

I never suggested running these, or any light for that matter, 2 inches off the surface.

Lets see, BRS sells the expensive stuff so lets do a vid, not mention a name brand, use the cheapest black box, then say the expensive fixtures get you more for your money. Thats like an exotic car dealer comparing a Ferrari which they sell to a Toyota. Duh

drew930
11/22/2017, 03:19 PM
I am running an apex. Base unit and EB8 in basement and another EB8 upstairs with the tank for lights and powerheads only. They will be plugged into GFCI outlet.

I just hope it covers and doesn't leave shadows, and I don't want to damage the fixtures by doing so. The splashing "may" be a concern because the fixtures have slits in the side to cool, etc.

But definitely wanted to get some opinions on this cause it's pretty low to the water for sure.

Bronx19
11/22/2017, 03:56 PM
I never suggested running these, or any light for that matter, 2 inches off the surface.

Lets see, BRS sells the expensive stuff so lets do a vid, not mention a name brand, use the cheapest black box, then say the expensive fixtures get you more for your money. Thats like an exotic car dealer comparing a Ferrari which they sell to a Toyota. Duh

But you didn't watch the video. Ryan said they will sustain corals and that if your only concern is price, they're fine. Just don't expect even spread, certified parts or a backed warranty.

1" off the water is no good, regardless of what light it is. I would expect the Chinese gear to rust out in 6 months.

RobZilla04
11/22/2017, 07:25 PM
But you didn't watch the video. Ryan said they will sustain corals and that if your only concern is price, they're fine. Just don't expect even spread, certified parts or a backed warranty.

1" off the water is no good, regardless of what light it is. I would expect the Chinese gear to rust out in 6 months.

Watched the entire video. IMO it was bias from start to finish.