PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon reef advice

Mj_reef
11/23/2017, 09:53 PM
So I currently have a 28 gallon nano cube that has been doing pretty good for about 5 months now and have been thinking about converting my 75 gallon freshwater tank and moving the stuff in my 28 to it. Ive been researching a lot and think over the next few months im going to get ready to make the change. I would like some input on equipment I've considered. I dont want to still my tank so i was going to get the marine depot of-800 hang on back over flow. I already have 1 kessil a160 tuna blue on the 28 so I'm thinking of getting another to light the 75. Im going to attempt a diy 29 gallon sump amd any advice on setup and order of the chambers would be awesome. As far as skimmer I'm liking the reef octopus classic 150 internal skimmer but im open to options arpund the 250 dollar range. For return pump ive heard good thinks about the mag pumps so I was considering the mag 9.5. I want to have a refugium in the sump nd i have a aquamaxx nemolight nano that I can use but open to suggestions that dont cost an arm and a leg. I figure I'll need some powerheads I have a hydor nano 425 already and was considering also getting the hydor evolution 1150 gph. Is that too much or what do you all recommend. Anything else that I'm missing or that you recommend would be a great help. Thanks!

Mj_reef
11/23/2017, 10:05 PM
I also would like advice on a good rodi unit.

Uncle99
11/24/2017, 10:07 AM
Heater

nereefpat
11/24/2017, 10:35 AM
I would suggest that, if you don't want to drill a tank, get a tank that is already drilled. Since you're starting fresh, there is no reason to use a hang-on-tank overflow.

For sump chambers:
1st, constant level chamber that is big enough for the drains and the skimmer.
2nd, fuge. Light can be as simple as a 24 watt screw in LED plant grow light.
3rd, return section.

Those mag drive pumps are old school (proven) and last forever. But they are loud.

Powerheads:. Depending on what corals you are keeping, you need 30x-50+x turnover. So for a 75 gallon, at least 2000gph from powerheads/wavemakers.

Mj_reef
11/24/2017, 11:12 AM
Well I already have a couple of heaters and as far as getting a drilled tank, i would if i didn't already have the 75 gallon non drilled tank. As far as corals go for now im just going to stick to lps and maybe some leathers and maybe try spa in a couple of years once i get more experienced.

Mj_reef
11/24/2017, 11:14 AM
Sps* corral

JTL
11/24/2017, 11:42 AM
I have the RO classic int skimmer and really like it. Consider a DC pump. You can get a Jebao for a little over a $100.