PDA

View Full Version : Keeping two Centropyge angels?

kilroy217
11/23/2017, 10:22 PM
Looking for opinions: what size tank is big enough to keep two centropyge angels in? I have a 125gal tanks, and was thinking about getting two different centropyges. Maybe a potters and an eibli. Would this be ok in your opinion, or do you think there will be too much aggression?

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Scotch_c
11/23/2017, 10:52 PM
Too much risk based on my exp with trying two in an 180g. Suggest not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falconut
11/24/2017, 12:08 AM
I had a flame angel & a half black angel in my 90 years ago with no issues. So, it can be done. But since each individual is different you my not know until the battle begins. Best try would probably be if both were added at the same time. Make sure you have a way to remove them if needed, I hear if they fight it can be bad.

Dmorty217
11/24/2017, 07:09 AM
125g might be pushing your luck but it is doable in that size tank providing you pick the right two centropyge. I would not suggest a potters due to their poor track record in home aquariums

Sardaukar
11/24/2017, 11:27 AM
Plenty of tanks your size have multiple dwarf angels. Your best chance is to 1) have a good amount of rockwork and caves, 2) dwarf angels of different colors (like a flame and a cherub), 3) introduce the smaller angel first, 4) feed vigorously and possibly redo rockwork upon second angel introduction and 5) consider having a bigger boss fish (like a tang) so the biggest dwarf isn't the tank boss. 6) would be pray to your diety of choice and be ready to tear the tank apart trying to rescue one if it doesn't go well.

albano
11/24/2017, 11:28 AM
125g might be pushing your luck but it is doable in that size tank providing you pick the right two centropyge. I would not suggest a potters due to their poor track record in home aquariums

+1...tank size should be no problem... getting Potters to survive even past a few months is a problem, and Eibli can be aggressive

alton
11/24/2017, 05:55 PM
Finding two that get along will be trial and error, the size of the tank doesn't matter. I had a 300 gallon and it was not big enough for my flame and golden. I finally had to remove the golden.

caribfan
11/24/2017, 07:45 PM
I think you should be fine, I’ve got a lemon peel, eibli, two Venustus and a multifasciatus in a 240.

I think a major key to managing aggression is providing plenty of food and hiding places/caves, etc.

aznepydna
11/24/2017, 07:53 PM
I think you should be fine, I’ve got a lemon peel, eibli, two Venustus and a multifasciatus in a 240.

I think a major key to managing aggression is providing plenty of food and hiding places/caves, etc.I have a multicolor, venustus, lemonpeel, bicolor, joculator, bandit, blueline,majestic, and pair of singapores in a 180.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

ca1ore
11/24/2017, 08:02 PM
I have not found multiple dwarf angels to be that problematic. Sometimes a newcomer dies, but usually uneasy coexistence is reached. Not sure I'd try more than one in anything smaller than 90 gallons though.

ca1ore
11/24/2017, 08:04 PM
Finding two that get along will be trial and error, the size of the tank doesn't matter. I had a 300 gallon and it was not big enough for my flame and golden. I finally had to remove the golden.

BTW, that's an excellent and under appreciated point. If two fish decide they 'hate' each other no home aquarium, no matter the size, will be big enough.

saf1
11/25/2017, 10:29 AM
So just to ask a follow-up question or make sure I understand. The general rule of the Centropyge angels are twos a crowd? Or at your own risk sort of thing. I was looking for 2 to 3 in my 240 but since it isn't or won't be mature for a while maybe I'll add them either last or only 1.

Picking fish responsibly is almost has difficult has drinking responsibly. Learn something knew and noted. Centropyge angels added about a year after the tank is up and fills out and possibly limit to 1.

scooter31707
11/28/2017, 03:50 PM
I have an African, Multicolor, and a Mutlibar now with plenty of hiding places and all is well, so far. I did have a 4th one (Black Nox), but it passed away for no reason. IME, it is hit or miss, just depends on the individual fish.

McPuff
11/30/2017, 10:25 AM
I think a 125 is too small for 2 of them. You'll want at least a 126 or 130 gallon tank. :0)

Really though, I've tried 2 in a 150 that was loaded with rock. Didn't work. I decided that from then on I would keep only 1 in a tank of whatever size. Just not worth trying to get one out if necessary. You could try to acclimate them in the same box but put a divider in it. See how they react to one another.

nodak
11/30/2017, 09:23 PM
I have a flame a multicolor and Singapore together in a 90.They have been together for about 3 years with no problems. The multicolor was first followed by the Singapore then the flame.

Scotch_c
11/30/2017, 10:54 PM
I think a 125 is too small for 2 of them. You'll want at least a 126 or 130 gallon tank. :0)

Really though, I've tried 2 in a 150 that was loaded with rock. Didn't work. I decided that from then on I would keep only 1 in a tank of whatever size. Just not worth trying to get one out if necessary. You could try to acclimate them in the same box but put a divider in it. See how they react to one another.

Same exp with me & the 180g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk