PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into salt

bryn.sessums1
11/27/2017, 07:03 PM
I had a 40 breeder setup for a few years, loved it! My local dealer closed and I had no access to any supplies. Now I have moved and want to get my reef back!

I still have the 40 breeder and want to do softies and a few Los. Mostly easier stuff and a couple fish.

Anyone have links to 40 builds or suggestions for lights? Lighting has changed a bunch since then. I was thinking a 6 bulb t5ho set up. Also I want to do a sump to keep the display clean.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alton
11/28/2017, 05:51 AM
Welcome back into salt! With softies and some LPS I would think a 4 lamp T5HO would be fine. I use my 40 for a QT, so maybe others will chime in. I know most use a black box led, if you go that route make sure to get one that is at least 32" long, if not the sides will be dark.

jda
11/28/2017, 08:52 PM
Sump is a good idea. Drill the tank. It is easy - bit and bulkhead should be less than $30. Get a super reliable return pump - Chinese stuff is OK for flow, but don't risk the return pump.

4 or 6 bulb T5 is fine.

Get a pair of heaters with internal thermostats (Ehiem Jagr are good) and also a cheap controller like an InkBird - good insurance on overheating.

bryn.sessums1
11/28/2017, 09:57 PM
Welcome back into salt! With softies and some LPS I would think a 4 lamp T5HO would be fine. I use my 40 for a QT, so maybe others will chime in. I know most use a black box led, if you go that route make sure to get one that is at least 32" long, if not the sides will be dark.I have been looking at this one, it's a 32 inch. I liked led, I had them last time. Not familiar at all with black boxes.

Also I do want to drill and have a sump, just nervous as I have never drilled one before

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Series T300 300W LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Full Spectrum for Coral Reef Grow Fish Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PL12FM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_A9IhAbXTEY0G4

JTL
11/29/2017, 08:50 AM
Drilling is easy. Just keep the area wet (building a dam around the drilling area with plumbers putty works). Also let the hole saw do the work and don't force it. You will be amazed at how fast the glass cuts.

Check out Reefbreeders Photon v2, they are more money but very good value and lots of features.

bryn.sessums1
11/29/2017, 01:57 PM
Drilling is easy. Just keep the area wet (building a dam around the drilling area with plumbers putty works). Also let the hole saw do the work and don't force it. You will be amazed at how fast the glass cuts.

Check out Reefbreeders Photon v2, they are more money but very good value and lots of features.My light will be exposed(no hood) so I want something that will look good. Everything else I plan on running hidden and keeping sump under the stand.

I like what I see about that light online. It shows to be out of stock. I don't know anyone that has used the reefbreeder, do you have one?

greengeco82
11/29/2017, 03:36 PM
you can't drill tempered glass.

bryn.sessums1
11/29/2017, 05:04 PM
you can't drill tempered glass.Right you are, mine is not tempered.
At least it has no markings showing it is tempered