PDA

View Full Version : eheim question

oldhead
11/29/2017, 08:04 AM
My eheim 1262 came the other day and I went through the directions. I noticed there was a prefilter. I was wondering how many of you run it or remove it. I was considering not running it once I get my tank going.

Vinny Kreyling
11/29/2017, 08:57 AM
No worries there.

LQT
11/29/2017, 09:16 AM
If you do use it, make sure you clean it out weekly at the bare minimum as it will collect and clog with detritus, and restricting flow at the inlet will put extra strain on the pump. I prefer to run them without the prefilter.

oldhead
11/29/2017, 01:33 PM
If you do use it, make sure you clean it out weekly at the bare minimum as it will collect and clog with detritus, and restricting flow at the inlet will put extra strain on the pump. I prefer to run them without the prefilter.

This is exactly why I thought of not running it. I figured by the time the water got to the pump it was clean anyway. This is going on an upgraded tank, going from a 36 bow to a 110. Just picked up some 4x4's to support the floor. Got most of my equipment, stand is built. Going to wash my extra sand from when I did my first tank so I only need a cup to seed it from my current tank.

braappn
11/29/2017, 02:39 PM
Take it out. I didn't realize it was in there and ran it for a couple weeks. Disgusting! Been running for months now without and no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktownhero
11/29/2017, 05:27 PM
I don't use them, they just get crud in them and a proper sump design should already be preventing bubbles from making it to the display.

billdogg
11/29/2017, 06:24 PM
I've been using 1262's for 30 years now. Throw that filter in the trash. It is not needed and is a PIA to take off and clean as often as you would need to.