PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy eyes and popeye! Need treatment help.

barrysalt
11/29/2017, 04:12 PM
One of a mated pair of large clownfish in a 1500 gal tank with about 40 other fish has developed popeye and totally occluded eyes (both). I"m aware that this is probably bacterial-caused. Can anyone suggest what I can use to try to cure this, and what are the chances that the rest of the tank will be infected?
Thanks...

SAT
11/29/2017, 04:43 PM
Just the one fish? In that case I wouldn't worry about the others for now.

Take a close look... is it possible the eyes are covered with little flatworms? If so, you should be able to make out regular shapes. If not, you are probably correct about bacterial infection.

In any case, you need to get him into a hospital tank. For bacteria, I suggest a double dose of Maracyn-2.

Dmorty217
11/30/2017, 08:29 AM
epsom salt will help with popeye but won't do anything for the bacterial infection

Jdub968
11/30/2017, 10:58 AM
Agree with two above, erythromycin is the go to Med for eyes. Before you catch the fish prepare a fw dip and then catch it and dip it for 5 min this will check for flukes, then place him in a qt and treat with erythromycin. If flukes were present in the dip I would then treat later for flukes with two rounds of prazipro