PDA

View Full Version : Question on replacing sand

Ramracer32
11/29/2017, 04:42 PM
Hello y’all, I have a 25 gallon nano that’s been running for about 6 months now and am wanting to change my substrate from a very course sand to a fine sand without causing a tank cycle. My sump has a good amount of bio media that is very established and my bio load is 2 clowns and a few snails. Should I use dry sand or go with live sand? I fear that live sand will have some nutrients that might cause a bacteria bloom. What is your thoughts?

der_wille_zur_macht
11/29/2017, 04:45 PM
I would use dry sand, well rinsed. Siphon out a small section of the old and replace with new. Do a few square inches at a time, a few days apart.

Vinny Kreyling
11/29/2017, 04:46 PM
If you can manage do 1/2 now & 1/2 a week later using dry sand.

Ramracer32
11/29/2017, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the fast responses. The sand I’m pulling out is very thick pieces of crushed coral would it benefit me to throw a small layer in my sump to add another element of beneficial bacteria hosting ability?

I’m switching over because this stuff traps every bit of debris you could imagine also feel like my clean up crew snails hate walking on it.

mcgyvr
11/29/2017, 05:33 PM
Personally I would just ditch it and not retire it to the sump..
Like you said.. It just traps debris that should otherwise be removed or recirculated through the tank to be consumed if possible

outy
11/29/2017, 05:46 PM
I fear that live sand will have some nutrients that might cause a bacteria bloom. What is your thoughts?

Its not a nutrient problem, the lack of beneficial bacteria will cause a diatom issue like a new tank for a week or so.

I just redid my sand bed and had a bit of a bloom of all algae on an established 215.

Should be clear in a few weeks as well

Ramracer32
11/29/2017, 06:30 PM
Great doing the change now thank you all for the input