PDA

View Full Version : t5s not working

psyrob
11/30/2017, 08:38 PM
Just did my yearly change of T5 bulbs (4X54 Watts over a 60 gallon tank) and now the two actinics, which are wired on the same ballast, come on for a split second then go out. I have changed the ballast for a new one, checked all the wiring, and took out and reinstalled the bulbs. Same thing, I plug in the cord and the lamps come on for a second then turn off. Any ideas? A short somewhere? It was working fine until I changed the bulbs...

Daddi0
11/30/2017, 08:45 PM
How do the sockets and pins look? Have you tried to put a couple of the old bulbs in to see if they fire up?

psyrob
11/30/2017, 09:37 PM
The sockets and pins look ok, no burn marks and there is good contact between the pins and sockets. I will try an old bulb and see what happens

psyrob
11/30/2017, 09:50 PM
Daddi0, that was it! I put in an old bulb into the spot I last replaced and now lamps are working! So I guess the new bulb I put in is defective or bad? Again, it would fire up and lite for a second, then go out. Now with the old bulb in, the old bulb and the other new one on the same circuit are working fine.

Daddi0
12/01/2017, 09:27 AM
Daddi0, that was it! I put in an old bulb into the spot I last replaced and now lamps are working! So I guess the new bulb I put in is defective or bad? Again, it would fire up and lite for a second, then go out. Now with the old bulb in, the old bulb and the other new one on the same circuit are working fine.
Nice!

JP Reef
12/01/2017, 10:17 AM

I would verify it by putting the suspect bulb in another location.