PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Tank Issue

Werae1
12/01/2017, 06:56 AM
I recently had a RedSea Reefer set up in my home. Last night it started sucking out the water in the overflow compartment and blowing air into the main tank. I shut everything down because I don’t know enough to fix this problem. Does anyone have any advice?

Rover88
12/01/2017, 06:59 AM
The slim overflow on the reefer contains the return plumbing as well.

If you are experiencing the water in the overflow getting sucked out, that means that the return plumbing itself has a break in it, I think. Its similar to how a python water change works: You run, and it 'sucks' into the line. In this case, the return the pump is pumping water up from the sump, but its 'sucking' water from the overflow into the return.

Thats my guess. I have zero idea how the plumbing inside a Reefer series is set up or what fittings they use, but I'd start seeing if you can identify a spot where there might be a poor fit, broken seal, or something of that sort within the overflow itself.

Werae1
12/01/2017, 07:30 AM
Everything looks like it is connected. I took a picture, but it this format doesn’t seem to except those.

Rover88
12/01/2017, 07:41 AM
Rereading your post, I realized that its probably something else. When you say sucking out the water in the overflow compartment, does this setup you have come with a sump? Is there a drain going to a separate water storage container in the stand, or does it only operate from within the overflow in the tank?

Shamous113
12/01/2017, 07:47 AM
Have you added any rodi water to make up for evaporation. I go thru 2-5gal/day of makeup water depending on the time of the year and the humidity in the house.

lmm1967
12/01/2017, 07:51 AM
Your water level has dropped due to evaporation. Replace it with FRESH water from an RO/DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werae1
12/01/2017, 08:11 PM
Thank you all for your help. Apparently a piece of styrofoam was sucked up in one of the hoses. Once dislodged and water added, everything is in good working order.