PDA

View Full Version : Suggested LED levels

dsmacfarlane
12/01/2017, 07:57 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm not able to find it in a search:

I just upgraded my RSM 250 (66 gal. AIO) with Steve's LED in the existing hood.

I'm starting out at 35% and will very slowly increase. My question is for a tank with mixed LPS, SPS, softs, and fish; what max level should I stop at?

Also, I have the Bluefish controller, so does anyone have morning/afternoon/evening/night levels that work for them that they'd be willing to share?

outy
12/01/2017, 10:12 PM
Your level depends on what you keep and how well they are doing. There is no set number.

I have LPS and the tank is thriving on 35b/25w and I may only go up when needed to 55-60 tops.

Ron Reefman
12/02/2017, 03:25 AM
You could try the 'canary in a coalmine' approach. Get a small frag of a red cap monti or any other inexpensive plating coral, and set it in your tank as high or higher than all the other corals. Start your acclimatization at a low number and raise it every week. You can raise it a bit faster early on, but get much more careful as you get up to higher power levels. When you raise the light intensity too high, the red cap will start to bleach before any other corals. At that point, dial the power back a bit (5% to 10%) and you should be good to go.

dsmacfarlane
12/02/2017, 01:45 PM
Great suggestion!