PDA

View Full Version : Old Salt, new tank

Deepsixx
12/03/2017, 10:33 AM
Hey guys, I have been in the hobby for around 20 years. Most of my tanks have been of modest size from the 34 gallon solana, a 55 gallon, to a 60 cube. All have been taken down to due circumstances out of my control. Now I have a new tank: 120 reef ready planet. I would have bought a 300 deep dimension, but I am not sure if i will be moving soon or not, due to the job, so I kept the larger tank small enough for me to handle breaking it down.

Either way, from my experiences in the hobby, I am buying very specific equipment, not cutting any corners, and automating most everything I can.

Deepsixx
12/03/2017, 10:57 AM
Hi everybody, here is the tank.
The Aquarium is a 48 x 24 x 24 inch center overflow Planet Aquarium that I had a LFS over in Irving, TX called Saltwater Paradise order for me. I had them build a custom hood and stand for me. Not into the stock stands for how they are typically built or the height in which they come.

The stand is 40 inches tall with heavy crown and base molding, scalloped front corners, interior 2 x 4 framing, and is solid wood. I have added an additional coat of white to the already white coating as it was a bit thin and transparent. I will probably add a few more coats then hit it with a clear poly coat to help protect it from the salt water. The interior will eventually be sealed with silicone at the joints and the entire inside covered in epoxy.

The hood is 10 inches tall, has ginger bread on the front and heavy crown molding. The entire top is hinged with piano hinge and lifts up for full top access. The back is open for venting. Same as the stand, a few more coats with a sealer and epoxy on the inside.