PDA

View Full Version : strange patch on Longnose butterfly

ntropics
12/03/2017, 01:42 PM
Any idea what this is? The fish is healthy and eating. It's only on the one side. A bit hard to seen in photo, because it's not much paler than the actual color of the fish. Sort of like a slightly raised area, oval shaped, perhaps 3 X 5 mm, just behind white area of gill, in line with rear black spot of tail.

Thanks
Bruce

JustinM
12/03/2017, 03:56 PM
Is there anything else in the tank. It’s hard to see in the pic. Any chance on getting a better picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntropics
12/03/2017, 04:19 PM
Here are two more photos.
It's sort of pale still, but you get a bit of a better idea.
Hope this helps.
Nothing else in tank, other that filter and a big piece of live rock.

Bruce

lagatbezan
12/03/2017, 10:51 PM
It's hard to tell but Is it red in color and like a lesion? Any raised scales? If so might be onset of uronema or bacterial infection.

ntropics
12/03/2017, 11:55 PM
It is raised. I think it needs to be treated asap, but i won't be home until tomorrow eve. Here is is now. I think it's bigger! What would you suggest I treat with?

Bruce

JustinM
12/04/2017, 04:36 AM
It does look like a bacterial infection. Since you believe it is spreading, I would treat with furan 2, kanaplex, and metroplex. This should knock it out for you and in the event it is uronema, metroplex will take care of that as well. Aerate your water pretty well while medicating.

lagatbezan
12/04/2017, 07:18 AM
It does look like a bacterial infection. Since you believe it is spreading, I would treat with furan 2, kanaplex, and metroplex. This should knock it out for you and in the event it is uronema, metroplex will take care of that as well. Aerate your water pretty well while medicating.

This 👆 But must be done in a qt.
I would start treatment asap. By tomorrow it might be too late.

ntropics
12/04/2017, 08:30 PM
AARGH! You were right. Didn't get home in time. He's dead. Well at least I have all the antibiotics now if there is a next time.

What would be the best procedure for sterilizing the QT? I certainly can treat it with the antibiotics to kill the bacteria, or will it just die out without a host?

Bruce

lagatbezan
12/05/2017, 12:28 AM
Sorry to hear. Uronema is a fast killer! At least the fish was in a qt and not your main display.
You can sterilize the tank and all the equipment with a bleach and water and then allow to fully dry for 48 hours. I usually just pour some bleach in the qt and have it run for a day. Drain and rinse and let dry. No need to waste antibiotics.

pfan151
12/05/2017, 02:22 PM
Best bet is to drain, clean, and let it totally dry.